add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First pc build - ran into an issue with video card

pfar54
  • 7 months ago

So I built my first PC last night. I really enjoyed it!

Anyways after putting it all together and starting it for the first time, I was relieved to see that is started and everything appeared to be running. This was until I plugged in the monitor and saw no picture. I tried different ports and cable types - nothing.

Then what I did discover is a small red light in my motherboard's EZ debug section. The VGA one was lit up.

What could be wrong? The video card fans aren't even spinning, but there are two lights lit up on it. A blue light for where the power wire is running in and then a red light for a port that doesn't have a cable in it.

Motherboard - msi MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi Video card: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB GDDR5

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The light on your motherboard indicates that the GPU either isn't detected or failed for some reason. I'd double check to make sure the GPU is properly seated in the Motherboard, the power cables are properly seated in the power supply, and that your monitor is plugged into the GPU itself.

I can't seem to find an actual manual for the GPU so I can't identify the lights that are showing up on the RX 590. If there was one provided with the box, definitely consult that for a more detailed understanding of which lights represent what on the GPU.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A blue light for where the power wire is running in and then a red light for a port that doesn't have a cable in it.

Blue light: All is good

Red light: Fill me up, honey! The card requires more power hence this port needs a second PCIE power cable connected.

I checked your saved build - the G3 supernova supports a second PCIE connect hence you should have a second cable in the box. The FATBOY remastered cards are "OC'd" cards, hence the higher power demand.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. This is the actual video card that I purchased (I didn't update my saved build) - Video card: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB GDDR5

Does what you said still apply?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure what cable to add in. Also where would I plug into the power supply - in another VGA slot? Here is the card I have - https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-590-rx-590p8dfd6/p/N82E16814150817 ...... and here is the img of the slot in question: https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e77/stangman2354/20190720_143945.jpg

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. This is the actual video card that I purchased (I didn't update my saved build) - Video card: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB GDDR5 Does what you said still apply?

Yep, that card has two (8-pin + 6-pin) power connectors. Both ports require power cable connections from the PSU.

I'm not sure what cable to add in. Also where would I plug into the power supply - in another VGA slot?

Yes, VGA slot. The 750W G3 should have four VGA ports, with one already utilised, pick any one of the other 3.

You should have another PCIE power cable which came with the PSU. This cable will be labelled "VGA" (on the connector). On one end of this cable you'll have a dedicated 8-pin connector which goes directly into the PSU. On the other end, you'll have a 6-pin + 2-pin arrangement. Ignore the side connector (2-pin) and stick the 6-pin connector into the GPU's 6-pin slot. Job done - boot up and see if that works for you.

Make sure all your previous and impending connections are snugly snapped in.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I got the video card working correctly. Now I am having trouble getting windows to install. About 10% into the install, I keep getting this error:

windows install error 0x80070570

Anyone know what I should do?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That sucks! Possibly bad media device or corrupt installation files.

EASY FIX: Download 'Windows Media creation tool' from MS and create your own media installation USB. Easy process:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Here's a quick guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfnuE1unS8 (picked randomly from YT, there's plenty of other tutorials if the guys annoying lol)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube