add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help! Rear fan isn't working and wires don't make sense!

Sketches

6 months ago

Hey all!

So I just tried to do some updates to my computer hardware today and am having issues with the rear fan on my pc not working. I replaced the CPU, GPU, RAM, and Motherboard. I've never done this before, but had a friend walk me through it and watched some YouTube videos on how to put everything together.

Everything seems to be working but the rear fan. I figured I didn't plug it in so looked through the wires that weren't hooked to the motherboard to try and figure out what I was missing and found the cord to the rear fan wasn't plugged in. So I verified with my friend that it was the right cord and he said yeah but it's hooked up to a power cascade and to NOT hook it into the MB. So I didn't, but I can't help but think that not hooking it up is why the fan isn't working. Please help!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm confused. Is it plugged into something or isn't it?

If it's literally not plugged into anything at all, that would be the problem.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you're saying here, but the rear fan should be plugged into a header like this via a plug like this (actual colors on motherboard may vary)

I don't know what you're friend told you, but if you're trying to plug your fan into your power supply(?) definitely don't do that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube