add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux for PLEX server, older hardware?

m52nickerson
  • 10 months ago

I have put together what I hope is going to be my home PLEX server from old rescued parts as follows...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium E5300 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR2-667 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 1 GB (1 x 1 GB) DDR2-800 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 1 GB (1 x 1 GB) DDR2-800 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $48.14
Storage Seagate Barracuda 250 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Asus GeForce GT 610 2 GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Custom Intel DP43TF Classic Series P43 ATX 1333MHz LGA775 Desktop Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $48.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 08:39 EDT-0400

I plan to add a couple lager HDD for storage but right now I'm just testing things out. I'm running Windows 10 right now, but would like to move away from that. So I'm interested in running Linux and wondered if anyone here has any experience with Linux, PLEX and older hardware.

I'm looking for something light weight and as hassle free as possible. It only has to run PLEX server.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

The best I personally have used to date for this scenario would be back box. I got it to run on an old Compaq laptop that had 1/2 gig ram and the older I386 chip set .the HD was 40 gig. I was blown away by the performance of the 12-15 year old machine. and the list of programs to cover most all you basics, not to mention a healthy dose of pen testing/ white hat hacking tools. I did the perm install after testing it a bit with a live USB load. I am pretty sure this will fit your bill you will impressed . Back Box Linux 6 I-386 Release: 11.06.2019 Name: backbox-6-i386.iso Size: 2,5 GB MD5: 3b1dd8b0a4c2afbe927d5c9459881129 SHA256: 7fa5ef636ec37b2c939cd8f4070a994a ca36a47f82908949bcc4771efc88ca2f Good Luck Arak

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

Thank you, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Anytime for a fellow penguin lover. Time allowing , I will be in the AO if you get jammed up. Arak

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, that's an old CPU. Linux certainly ought to run on it, unfortunately I don't know anything about plex.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Right now with Windows 10 Plex Server runs fine on it. I've been able to stream two movies to two different devices without issue. It will even transcoding audio without issue, at least the one movie I tried that my Roku will not play natively. Of course video transcoding is out of the question.

For right now I think I'm just going to use Windows 10. If I need the key for something else later, I'll figure something out. Now all I need is a nice big HDD and to move all my movies off my main PC...and free up some space.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Plex or Emby are the two to look at for this purpose. Kodi may also offer a similar purpose.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, but I'm going to be using Plex. I'm asking for a advice on a Linux build that will run on the old CPU I'm using and also run Plex.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube