add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 Drive isn't recognized in BIOS/Windows.

Nyxathid
  • 7 months ago

Hello!

Im posting this here in hopes someone knows what is going on. So this week I bought a X570 board (Asus Crosshair Hero X570) and the 3700x, prior to that I was running a 1700 with the X370 variant of the board, the Hero VI.

Now the problem that encounter with the X570 board is that it doesnt pick up my m.2 drive.

I got 2 storage drives, the m.2 and the a SATA SSD. The m.2 drive is a Samsung EVO 960 500GB and the SATA SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB.

I've tried to only plug in the m.2 drive, and it does get recognized, but as soon as I plug my SSD into the motherboard, it stops recognizing it.

One time I tried to plug the SATA SSD mid-post and once I got into the bios it did recognize both drives in a "AMD-RAID" whatever that is.

Im posting here in hopes someone has some info has to why this is happening. Perhaps this needs some BIOS update?

I also tried to various sata ports and both the m.2 slots in the motherboard.

Things I did : Change the Motherboard; CSM- disable/enabled; NVMe RAID - Disable/enable; SATA- ahci/raid and still the problem persists.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Plug your SSD on a different SATA plug on your MB. PCIe disables some SATA ports (because of bandwidth limitation).

That should clear your problem.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Both the M.2 slots on that board work off the PCI-E lanes not the SATA.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Your drive dictates how your M.2 slots will operate. Most MB (all that I know anyway) will work with either SATA or PCIe M.2 drives. No matter what, your drive uses PCIe (as it is an NVME drive (i have the same) and ths disables 1 SATA because of bandwidth limitation on the bus...hence my comment to move your SATA drive to another connection (not the M.2)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The board is designed to use the M.2 drive off the PCI-E lane regardless of the type of M.2

His statement on what he has tried. I also tried to various sata ports and both the m.2 slots in the motherboard.

Dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 Slot support up to 22110 and provide NVMe SSD RAID support for an incredible performance boost. Create a RAID configuration with up to two PCIe 4.0 storage devices to enjoy the fastest data-transfer speeds on the 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen platform.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/overview/

Most MB (all that I know anyway) will work with either SATA or PCIe M.2 drives this is correct but neither will disable a SATA port on that motherboard. It runs off the PCI-E lane and if its just a m.2 for factor at SATA speeds it still runs off the PCI-E lanes.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube