add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU 4 vs 8 pin connector

gowtham.n.mail
  • 74 months ago

Hi,

My motherboard has both 8 and 4 pin connector for CPU. Which one should I use. I am yet to buy a power supply.

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd just use that 8 pin. There's no way you can exceed the voltage delivered by a single 8 pin on normal air or water cooling.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

the extra 4pin is for overclocking stability unless you pushing the cpu well above a safe recommended overclock you dont need it

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank You. I am going to over clock and water cool.

Also, I am not able to find any power supply with a 4 pin connector in the shape of a square. There are only connectors where all the 4 pins are next to each other in a line.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

You must be looking at the wrong cable. It's never in a line as far as I've heard.

Power supplies with a 4 pin 12V CPU connector always have the pins arranged in a square.
Some have 8-pin, which is a rectangle twice as wide.
Still others have 4+4 pin, which is two squares that can be used as a 4 or as an 8.

Could you post an example of what you're talking about?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi CX 750 watts from corsair.

It does not have a 4 pin CPU connector. Just an 8 pin. What do I do? I will be over clocking as much as possible with water cooling.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair 8-pin power supplies are always actually 4+4. You can use it on a motherboard with a 4-pin or 8-pin connector.

What motherboard are you looking at though? I've never seen one that has a 4-pin and an 8-pin on the same board.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus Maximus VI Formula

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4 pins in a line connectors you are talking about are called molex connectors and they're only used for older tech and to hook up fan controllers. Also, most power supplies will come with both 4 pin and 8 pin connectors.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair CX 750 comes only with 8 pin. Should I return the item?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Your motherboard has an 8 pin connector anyway. Why wouldn't you just use that?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Most 8 pin cpu power connectors split into 2 4pin

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube