add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU / PSU Issues

AnthonyDMarano

6 months ago

*** I'm absolutely dumb. The fans not running is perfectly normal.

I had an initial issue with display and starting the system that I assumed fans not running meant it was broken. I little research and it's normal for fans not to run until it reaches a certain temperature. As of right now everything seems to be fine I just have to put it all together in the case and see.

FIRST BUILD | FIRST TURN ON

I can't get my GPU to run. Upon starting the computer up the GPU fans will start and then stop within a few seconds. After loading windows through the internal graphics I was able to log in with my graphics card attached (fans still off but HDMI attached and working) however, the USB ports were going off saying there was not enough power.

I was able to loads Windows and my computer seems to work perfectly fine without my GPU in. I downloaded HWMonitor to check my Voltage and Temps and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

*I have tried putting my GPU in 2 different spots and taking it in and out to make sure it was seated correctly.

Could it be my GPU is bad? Could it be my PSU isn't pushing power properly? Could it be my CPU Coolers and Thermal?

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card

Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU is plugged into a power strip. I did have some doubt with the 24 pin connector but I pushed that thing is as much as I could a couple times now. Everything is brand new and first time turning the computer on.

Does that make sense though that my computer is literally on right now working but with the GPU attached its at some state of degradation. Like I said it did some how pull up display through HDMI though the fans were still off. I haven't gone back to that because the USB ports were displaying as having not enough power through window prompts.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried plugging it directly into two different sockets and same outcome.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright so I pulled everything out and set it up outside the case making sure everything was seated perfectly. Noticed my PSU fan turns off as well. So I guess bad PSU? Was this my fault or what exactly happened? What did I do wrong?

Edit: This is normal.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube