add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Powering my VEGA 56 with only 7 pins?

Zach4166

6 months ago

So i recently purchased a Vega 56 GPU for my computer and only have 7 pins from my PSU to power it. It has a 2x4 pin power connect into it (8pins). Was wondering if it would damage my computer powering it like this. I plan on undervolting it as well. I have a 850W PSU so it is able to handle the mass watts it pulls

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Which PSU do you have? (if it's got 2x6+2 power cables, than you should be fine)

As for power, you've got more than enough for that card

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU i’m using is a 850W EVGA Bronze Power Supply

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

That card takes 2 X 8 pin (6+2 pins connector on most modern power supplies) a 8 pin that is 4+4 is for the motherboard CPU power and will not work.

You need to use both 8 pin PCI-E plugs.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

THIS! so much this! do NOT use a 4+4 from the power supply for a graphics card. They are not wired the same way.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m using all the PCIE cables I have, I have a 6+2 and then a 6 for a total of 7 pins coming from my power supply

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure I'm understanding your math there, but ok. what model PSU do you have?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My PSU is a EVGA 850 BQ. By 7pins I meant only 7 rows are filled on my gpu.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

you mean 7 of the 8 modular slots are used?

That PSU should have 3x 8pin (6+2), 3x 6pin PCIe power connections available.

You should only be needing to use 2 of the (6+2) pin connections. This is the PSU right? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kGL7YJ/evga-bq-850w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0850-v1

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes that is the power supply I have. The PCIE wires that are in it are stuck in the PSU and can’t be removed.

The wires are shown here (3rd down on left) https://images.app.goo.gl/qd3xT7Fmomop53PS9

I guess my main question now is would it be ok just to use those PCIE cables or buy a replacement set and use them in the VGA slots?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube