add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My nightmare with Windows

nostalgia2302

4 months ago

Today, I have been severely distressed and neared to have an anxiety attack, because of Windows.

All I wanted was to change my mother’s laptop HDD for a SSD.

1. I proceeded to make a system backup, downloaded a trial of EaseUS backup software and proceed to clone the disk.

2. The new SSD wasn’t booting. After trying many solutions I realized that I wasn’t sure if I had just cloned just the C: partition or the whole disk.

3. Tried to clone the whole system. The software kept telling me that wasn’t enough unallocated espace in the drive. After formating, resizing, deleting and touching and molesting every button in both the software and the Windows disk management tool, it kept telling me there wasn’t enough unallocated espace.

4. I cloned again, just that instead of a system cloning, I cloned the disk as I did the first time, but making sure that all partitions were selected. After replacing the disk it still wasn’t booting.

5. I decided to do a clean install.

6. Did the clean install, downloaded the drivers from Lenovo, and put the old HDD in my external box, then connected it via USB.

7. I went to the “Users” folder in the old HDD and tried to enter in my mom’s user folder. Access denied.

8. Tried to grant permission and ownership to the fresh install username. The thing was taking a bazillion so I cold cancelled. Right after this, the laptop started to freeze. I could move the mouse, but I couldn’t click anywhere.

9. Inserted the old HDD again, connected my external hard drive, and tried to copy all my mom’s info (pics, music, etc) on my personal drive for backup, but oh, surprise! Access denied. Somehow, even if the process had not been completed, now the files weren’t in ownership of the original HDD user, preventing me from getting to those files. I kept trying to open some videos, music files and kept getting error of missing, corrupted or damaged files

10. I started messing up with the permissions again. I rebooted and Lenovo started to repair some kind of damage in the disk. After another reboot the desktop was empty and I could’t open the file explorer since it prompted access denied errors.

I started at 10 AM. Right now it’s 2 AM. This ordeal has stressed me a lot and even made me cry in frustration because I don’t understand how these things can be so ridiculously complicated.

It wasn’t even supposed to be like that. It was supposed to be a simple cloning process, swap disks and that was it. I don’t even know why it didn’t work the second time I properly cloned all the partitions.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, I know this type of frustration.

What I would suggest is first getting you mom's files off the old HDD. Connect it to your pc, not by the external enclosure but if you can open the PC and connect it via SATA. Now for ease of doing the rest you want to setup up a "take ownership" command. How to do this is in the link below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Once that is set up and you can see your moms HDD, you should be able to right click and gain ownership to everything on there. So now save a the files you need to your PC.

As for the laptop. I would again do a fresh install of windows, formatting the SDD before hand and downloading any additional drivers needed. Once that is done and it looks like everything is working fine then move you mom's files over via thumb drive or another way. Just don't use the old HDD and your enclosure unless you wipe that drive first.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube