add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptop locking up, is it overheating?

Siwini

3 months ago

I bought a used laptop because I needed a portable rig. It's a Lenovo G50-45. I installed 8 Gb of RAM, 2x4, and a 500 Gb MX500 SSD. It runs good, but after a while the display kind of has "ghost" images and it freezes up. I shut it down, wait a minute or so, start it and it runs again until it stops and does it again. All I'm doing with it is a couple of open tabs web-surfing, and running MS Word and such. Is it overheating? I'm hoping taking it to a shop and having it "serviced" will fix it. I can't really afford to throw a bunch more money at it. Any advice on how to proceed? Thnx, Bobby.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

try reinstalling windows

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I did an install, update cycle when I put the SSD in on Sunday, you think I should try again? (in light of the lockup issue)

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

have you installed anything that might be malicious?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Office, Firefox, that's all I needed, Driver updates, nothing else I can think of.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

take a look in task manager

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, need a few minutes to fire it up. Be right back....

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

No running apps

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

install something that monitors CPU temps and go about your business, keeping the monitor visible on screen. See if it climbs excessively high. If it doesn't, you can rule out overheating.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So I worked a trade for a different set of problems that I can handle. This one is smaller and needs a battery, but it doesn't fail while I'm doing stuff. It goes against my grain to not find the answer, but I need the energy focused on other things. Anyway, I learned some stuff, and didn't take a financial whipping. Thank You all for the help.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

No, just web and office on this laptop.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe 3 webpages and 2 documents max, nothing strenuous.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

: ) Thank You, maybe I'll go dig out that roll of crime scene tape and warn the neighbors. I might disassemble it and clean/reapply paste and hope for the best.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube