add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Help: 5 displays on one Sapphire RX 570 vid card - new build

UNC-PCBuild
  • 6 months ago

Hello,

I just built my first PC (it went smoothly to this point, thx for asking). The snafu I have run into is getting all 5 monitors to run on the one Sapphire Pulse RX 570 vid card.

I will give more details about why 5 displays (I am a daytrader, not a gamer per se) and the specs on the PC build below.

The RX 570 vid card has 5 ports and is supposed to support 5 displays. It has the following ports: 1xDVI, 2xDP, 2xHDMI.

I finally got 3 monitors hooked up at once, plugged into the 2 DP and 1 HDMI. I had to use adapters for all of these b/c my monitors are all around 10 yrs old and only have VGA or DVI connectors / ports.

Problems: 1) I have 4 different DVI to VGA adapters (from my old setup) , NOT 1 of them will plug fully into the DVI port on the back of the RX 570 vid card DVI port. I am guessing something is wrong with it. But's let's skip that prob for a minute. It may not matter, if I can still get ALL 5 displays to run somehow through one or more of the other ports.

2) After having 3 mons plugged, whenever I go to plug in the 2nd HDMI adpater for a 4th monitor (just the adapter, not even the monitor hooked into it), the PC screens go black and the computer just sits there. I disconnect it and have to reboot the PC.

Solution I am looking for: I want to connect ALL 5 monitors to this one card IF possible AND IF it makes sense (not going to overload / overheat the card).

Alternative solution: To hook ALL 5 monitors using 2 vid cards, get another 570 or similar. I obviously need the desktop extended but each screen can be it's own screen. In essence whatever desktop background pic I choose, would be shown 5 times, I am use to it. But only 1 monitor would be the primary and have the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. I prefer the one vid card solution, just to save the money, but I want this done correctly and to last! -- So I am ok with 2 vid cards if necessary. Does one have to "crossfire" to make this happen? I am use to Nvidia vid cards and not familiar with the AMD stuff.

Further detail on new setup and why:

I am a daytrader and previously had 2 PCs with 5 monitor setup. 1 PC with 4 mons, 1 PC with 1 mon. The PCs are 9 and 12 yrs old. Yeah, yeah I know, that's crazy. I like to use stuff until it's past it's life and then keep going, ha.

The 5 monitors are all Dell 17 inch monitors also 9 to 12 years old. No, I have no desire to replace them until they die. Also it has to do with the layout of charts that I have been looking at for years. So even if I got new bigger monitors, I would still get 5 of them. But I am not doing that at this time.

New PC Build specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 MOBO: MSI b450 Tomahawk RAM: G. Skill 16 gb , 3200 Mhz GPU: Sapphire Pulse, Radeon RX 570 , 4gb PSU: Seasonic 750 W gold+ Case: NZXT H500 .... currently just 2 of the stock 120mm fans Adapters for VGA monitors I am using to plug into vid card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z08TZNU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6XXTH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully I have given all the necessary info. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for suggestions / solutions!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

UPDATE: I now have 4 displays going. The DVI adapters I was using were DVI-I (analog) and the port on the card is a DVI-D (digital). I plugged in an old DVI-D cord and now got the 4th monitor connected. Now I just need to figure out why all the screens go black when I plug in the 2nd HDMI adapter (last port open on the card). Does it have something to do with "Active" and "Passive" adapters?

For some reason 2 of the monitors are their own screen and 2 others are set to be just 1 large screen. Not sure how to change that to where every display is separate

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't make duplicate posts, please. Since your other thread has a response and this is the more appropriate subforum to post it in, I'm deleting this one and moving the other. Good luck!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube