add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Help - which graphics card? wait for new part releases?

robonzo

5 months ago

Been considering a PC build for some time. I've put together what I think are decent specs for the core parts of the system. Got some questions and need some help.

I'm trying to achieve 1080p@120fps but have a system which is capable of 1440p@60fps min. I've not yet chosen a GPU so which card would people recommend? My total budget is £800-1000, parts list below.

Other questions:

First up case - NZXT H500 vs Fractal Meshify C - which is better, how much better is airflow on the meshify?

MOBO and CPU - I've gone for the B450 and a 2600 ryzen from previous gen as I doubt I'd use the additional power of the new 3600 chips and can't justify stumping up for the cost of the motherboard. Do you think that's a smart move? If I wanted to upgrade the CPU the future is pairing with a B450 smart?

Is Corsair ram decent? Every build video I watch they seem to use G Skill, but 16gb kits of that cost almost double, what's the reason for that?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £119.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler £19.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard £86.69 @ Aria PC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £75.50 @ Aria PC
Storage Kingston A1000 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £42.33 @ PC World Business
Case NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case £67.98 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £79.00 @ AWD-IT
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £490.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 19:54 BST+0100

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Is Corsair ram decent?

Corsair Vengeance is some of the best STUFF around! In fact, i've had better luck with tighter timing controls and higher bandwidths with Corsair....compared to the more expensive RGB G-skill Trident Z (sadly, settled with G. Skill purely for the RGB aesthetics)

Every build video I watch they seem to use G Skill, but 16gb kits of that cost almost double, what's the reason for that?

Maybe G. Skill is spending more with marketing via "social media", presumably freebies to reviewers. Or, i have to admit, G Skill does produce some pretty sexy looking heatsinks.

£1000 easily gets you a Ryzen 3600 + RTX 2060 combo. I'm sure you could possibly shift up to a 2060 SUPER GPU without crossing £1000 barrier. With a performance target of 1080p@120fps, a faster single threaded CPU is simply more convincing for higher refresh rate gaming whilst maintaining higher quality in-game configurations (especially with today's rampant demanding titles).

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying to achieve 1080p@120fps but have a system which is capable of 1440p@60fps min

To clarify, are you suggesting you already have a build at hand (in current use) which is capable of handling 1440p@60fps? If yes, you're potentially looking at an average of 1080p@90-100fps on the same machine. If this is correct, a newer build at this moment in time doesn't make sense.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I currently have a gaming laptop which has 1060 GTX 6gb with an i7 7700 and 16gb ram. Kind of games I play are Witcher 3 (and looking to be able to play Cyberpunk at decent detail with good FPS) divinity OS2, cities skylines etc. They all play at high - ultra and I can hit around 50-100fps but fan noise, thermals, lack of upgrades etc.

So ideally I'd like something which can hit 100-144fps at 1080p out the gate (to utilise existing monitor) but if I upgraded the monitor could handle 1440p within the 60-120fps field.

I was thinking of a faster single thread Intel CPU but then a lot of the other parts jump in cost etc. I kinda liked the price point to performance of AMD. I was put off the 3600 due to most needing BIOS updates unless you stump up for the X570 boards, which are around the £200 point at present (so including the CPU that's about £400 - 450)

The 2 cars I was looking at were the 2060 super and the Radeon 5700 XT but I'm not sure if they'd be total overkill?? I'd assume the standard 2060 or 5700 could achieve what I'm after, but then the jump to the next tier is only about £60-80...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Considering the principal driver which determines the strength of "FPS" is the CPU (single-threaded supremacy), and the GPU being secondary for graphics quality preferences - i'd push for the 3600. This recommendation is purely based on your performance targets! The counter-measure being - opting for a B450 motherboard with a FLASH BUTTON BIOS upgrade feature. These boards (added below) don't require previous GEN CPUs for updating BIOS, just a simple case of downloading the BIOS update to a USB device and following these fairly simple steps to pave the way for a Ryzen-3000 READY mobo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

If this is the likely path taken, the following is possible:

• Ryzen 3600 + stick with the stock cooler for now. If it doesn't tickle your fancy, you can always upgrade later.

• RTX 2060 SUPER. Although, the 2060/5700 are more than sufficient for your performance targets - the super variant adds a little extra for maintaining higher in-game quality configurations for the long run. The alternative being, the RX 5700 XT (preferably a partner card - expected in the coming days/weeks). The better the card the better the performance when shifting up to 1440p.

• Double the SSD capacity @ 500GB

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £188.79 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard £104.98 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £72.78 @ Aria PC
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £69.00 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card £423.47 @ Ebuyer
Case NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case £67.98 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £79.00 @ AWD-IT
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1006.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 21:28 BST+0100

Typically, this sort of spec delivers: (demanding games@top settings)

• 1080p @ 120-130fps avg. (depending on game title)

• 1440p @ 75-85fps avg. (depending on game title)

Not all games see much difference when toggling between High/ultra configurations (even Mid at times). A nice mix of settings without losing noticeable visual performance opens up greater opportunities to hit even higher FPS counts. This is where faster single threaded CPU precedence takes shape, with better scalability in games, even if you were to opt for an inferior GPU.

Although, @1440p, again the better the card the better the possibility to maintain higher in-game graphics quality. The RTX 2060 Super or if you can wait a little longer for the 5%+ superior RX 5700 XT (partner cards starting from $400, arriving soon).

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a good shout, didn't know about MOBO's with this setting! The RX 5700XT is definitely a card I'd be interested in and hopefully the third party designs with better cooling will have arrived by black friday.

I'd probably leave the storage as I've got a load of spare Seagate firecuda drives from various PS4 expansions so was thinking of formatting them and using as mass storage.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely get an SSD for your boot drive (for the OS and applications) - even if you are limited to a 250GB entry-level SSD for 25 quid. The hybrid SSHDs nowadays make for a nice secondary storage solution but fall short of SSDs superior and more efficient performance.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I think a RTX 2060 or RX 5700 would be appropriate for your needs. If you wanted to save some money or buy used, you could also consider a 1660Ti or Vega 56/64. Not much reason to have any more horsepower than those cards for 1080p/144hz or 1440p/60hz. All of them are good.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah im increasingly looking at the 2060. It's enough of a leap from the 1060 I have but seems to be very capable. I'm thinking of getting parts around black friday so maybe there will be B550 (assuming that'll be how name them!) and the prices of the 2060 super might drop... here's to hoping.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube