add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC build randomly restarting!

AlexH99
  • 6 months ago

Hey everyone! I just built my first ever pc. The building process went well and I got my pc up and running. My only issue is that my computer will randomly just go black and boot back up like If i was just turning it on hence the issue restarting. Its happened a few times now, and I recently (today) tried to see if the issue would still occur after updating bios and it happened again about 10-15 minutes into playing csgo. I'm not quiet sure what could be the issue or where to even start to diagnose the problem. Anything helps! If it also helps, this is my build. PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard -
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $94.99 @ Corsair
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Computer 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $549.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $105.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $129.89 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1364.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-12 01:18 EDT-0400

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried anything else other than bios?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So far just the bios, turning off auto-restart in windows, changing power options to ryzen power balance or something like that and making sure everything in the motherboard was plugged in correctly/all the way.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey sorry you're having these problems on your first build. So, stupid question but it's important. Is it prompting a windows restart or shutdown, or is it just suddenly cutting out straight to black and turning back on?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if its a windows restart, but it will randomly cut off/go black, show the gigabyte symbol of the motherboard where you could enter bios, and then have the windows sign-in screen where I will sign in. Also, I'm not sure if this will help but I've noticed it does it quicker when I tried playing pubg vs counter strike. When I launch csgo, it can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes but when I tried launching pubg, it restarts about 1-5 minutes into launching. It so far hasn't restarted while doing basic things like web searching yet but then again I haven't really used it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so to me it sounds like 1 of 2 things. A, your CPU could be overheating which lines up with the time it takes for the problem happen because CSGO, a not very demanding game takes longer to heat up the CPU and utilize the full thermal capacity of your cooler, then do it faster when you launch pubg which is well, more demanding. I don't know how you built the system considering its your first build but if you put too much thermal compound on there it will actually act as an insulator instead of transferring heat to the cooler. Just make sure you have the right amount of compound for your CPU type (take a look at gamers nexus guide online) also check the mounting of your actual cooler, make sure its getting good contact. Option B isnt so much a diagnosis but something you can try, take out all of the front panel connections (power, reset switch, drive activity and all) and jump the power pins with a screwdriver (just means take something metal and touch both power pins at the same time and the system will turn on). Try that and see if it continues with the problem. Now that I'm done with this essay lmao, lemme know how it goes here.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips. I did go with the stock cooler at first with the ryzen 3700x and ended up switching to the fuma 2. So I used a cooler with stock thermal paste and I applied the fuma 2 which is what Im currently using and with both still had the problem. Once I get home ill try and monitor the temps to see if anything is overheating. Ill definitely try that screwdriver method and possible remounting my cooler. Ill let you know later on today thanks again!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, im interested to see what happens when you remove all the front panel connectors because it would be wild if those were causing the issue somehow. But good luck!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There are a few free programs you can get to log the temperature every x seconds. One I've used before is cpuz

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey so I used cpu temps and hwmonitor and my cpu temps were around 30-55 idle and while under a stress test of 100% load it was around 70 degrees. While trying to game they would be around 45-60 with an apparent max of 67. I also tried your screwdriver trick and while it powered on the issue still occurred.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube