add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu overheated and won’t start

dptheking
  • 6 months ago

Hello

I was working on gramps computer. To see why it kept freezing so I first replaced the ssd from silcon power to a crucial ssd. And then I took cooper off and replaced thermals on the cpu just to be safe. I forgot to plug back in the cooler once I installed it again. I cut the computer on and then it started and cut off right after that. I’m assuming that meant the cpu overheated. Now I have put the cooler on and replaced thermals 3 more times and the computer still will not start but the motherboard still shows the led lights when I unplug and replug the power cable. But like I said the computer won’t start, so the led lights on the motherboard still show as if the computer in getting power but not on. And when I hit the power button the computer doesn’t start. I even took the motherboard battery out and put it back in and nothing. Is there a way to fix this and get the computer to start? This happened last night so it has been off for over 10 hours

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $148.90 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $20.00
Memory ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory -
Storage Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $58.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Walmart
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $347.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 01:10 EDT-0400

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey, so for how long were you running the computer without the CPU plugged in? If it was over 5 minutes you very well may have a dead chip. I say that because the big hunk of aluminum on the CPU should give you some buffer space

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

The computer was only for 10 seconds before it cut off from the cpu cooler not being plugged in

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Well then it wouldn't make much sense for your CPU to be dead. With a heat sync on there but no fan, if it was less than even 30 seconds theres no way it got up to a high enough temperature to damage it. So long as that's the case then you can rule out CPU. You said you replaced the thermal compound on the CPU so I would make sure that you didn't get any compound in the socket or on the board. I would also take out the CPU and inspect the pins on the board and the pads on your chip to make sure nothing was damaged when you replaced these things. Look very carefully at the pins on the board, some of the bends in these high count pin sockets can be hard to pick out. Maybe even throw in a new CMOS battery for you board, but I don't think that's it so its just an extra lol

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There’s some thermal paste on the cpu cooler part that pushes air. But not a lot. Just a little from when it moved as I was trying to lock it in. So your saying 10 secs of the computer bring on and the cpu not having a cpu cooler to cool it off should not have killed the cpu even after it shut down on it own. And that I should check the pins n see if they got damaged in the process on the cpu or motherboard? N lol i wont replace battery

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, so long as there's no compound in the socket, on board components or anything you're fine. But no 10 seconds should not have fried the chip. LinusTechTips sometimes posts into windows without a CPU cooler on if he will continue doing work just so he doesn't have to mess with it. So honestly the only thing I can think would be possibly a damages pad or pin so take a look at that, but if the chip turns out to be dead, I honestly don't have an explanation for it because it shouldn't be lmao

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So I just tried it and there was some thermal on the side of the cpu so I cleaned that off but only in the side. I did not remove all the thermal paste and rely onto the cpu. I checked and none of the pins on the cpu were damaged. Attached the cooler back, took the ram out n put it back in and nothing. The motherboard still shows the same colors as if it’s off. And the computer does not. Cut on

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer only was on for like 10 secs before it cut off from the cpu cooler not being plugged in

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

appreciate the reply but i checked and the ram is fine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube