add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 2400G upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600

strigoi1489

10 days ago

So My build consists of a

Ryzen 5 2400g 2x8gb sticks of 2400mhz corsair vengence a zotac gtx 1060 6GB

I'm still noticing dips in fps at ultra at 900p in dyling light and the witcher 3. I have all my fans blowing at 100% and my side panel is removed. Could this be my cpu? I thought maybe I should upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600. My temps are fine too. I heard if a cpu getsz it's load up to 100% there can be dips in frame drops.

Comments

• 10 days ago
  • 2 points

Try installing MSI afterburner. That has an on screen overlay which will show you if you are hitting 100% or not.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

This is by far the easiest way to figure out what hardware is holding back performance.

Make sure to display the individual CPU threads and not just the overall cpu usage. Because if a game only uses a few of the cores and one is maxed out then you're at max for that game. (i.e. League of Legends uses 1 core so my overall cpu usage is super low, but that one core is typically pegged when I'm playing)

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

I did my gpu is hitting 99 and my cpu is all over the place. I may just be getting dips in combat. Anyway to prevent small frame drops all together?

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

How did you RAM usage look? Can you overclock your RAM to 3200? (Ryzen likes faster RAM.)

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Its 2400 speed idk how to overclock it. I do have a asus rog strix b450f mobo

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

You can set the memory frequency in the BIOS. Since it is 2400 memory this can make the system unstable, but it might be a way to test if it helps before going out and getting 3200 speed RAM. Planemaster had a good question, are you plugged into the output on your MOBO or graphics card? Also in the BIOS, I think there is a setting for integrated graphics. Make sure that is turned off.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Its plugged into my gpu. And i turned igpu off in bios

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Try to put everything on low and then raise some game details by monitoring the CPU and GPU usage until you get a game-play without stuttering or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrIXXNX43k

Also a lot of useless online or offline background applications can affect you gaming performance as well.

Therefore just start your computer in a *[clean boot environment] and try to play the game with the above steps in mind.

(*) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Is your HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort cable plugged into your GPU? If it isn't, you'll be using your considerably weaker integrated GPU.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

My Nephew is running Witcher 3 on specs similar to yours with smooth 1080p gameplay > 60fps with occassional dips during fighting. The only difference with his build is he is on an i3-8100. To my recollection, the two CPU's are extremely close in performance with the 2400G having an edge in multithreaded stuff (which gaming typically does not utilize). I therefore doubt your performance issues are the CPU or the 1060 GPU.

I do wonder if your RAM is holding you back.

Oh yes one more thing - check to see if your GPU is being used. The Ryzen 5 2400g has quite a strong APU well capable of running both your games at 720p medium settings. It might be possible your PC is going through the APU here. At 900p ultra it is going to give that poor APU a real workout to the point frame dumps will be very noticeable gaming. Just a thought.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube