add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, powering or mobo problem

User8800
  • 6 months ago

I recently built based on the Great Intel Gaming/Streaming build guide and am having some problems. Hoping for some guidance with troubleshooting.

System: - Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard - Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor - GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 - Corsair TX550M 550W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Graphics card - Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND 540MB/s 2.5" SATA SSD - Phanteks Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass Black - Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Cooler

Steps I've taken:

1. First assembled and connected all parts and powered on: result was no power to any parts of the system. Checked plugs, installation etc. All seemed correct.

2. Disconnected and removed the power supply and tested it (paperclip bridging pins 15 and 16). All pins on 24 pin connector measured correct voltage. Replaced the power supply. Still no power anywhere.

3. Bridged pins 15 and 16 on the 24 pin connector while plugged into the motherboard. Motherboard LED labelled "CPU" lights up red, other LEDs on motherboard remain unlit (VGA, BOOT, DRAM). Case fan and CPU fan both start. Front panel LEDs light up. However, no output to screen from HDMI port when plugged into either GPU or motherboard HDMI port.

4. No change when power switch is pressed, or when power switch plug removed and contacts bridged.

5. Progressively removed graphics card, first RAM stick, second RAM stick and retry powering on at each step. No changes at any step.

Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like PSU is fine Reassure your 24 pin ATX power connector is fully seated, make sure your 8 pin EPS power connector (not just the optional 4 pin) is fully seated then clear CMOS - either unplug and remove battery for 10 min or unplug and bridge the two pins with a screwdriver for a few seconds on the CLR_CMOS header above your front panel header bottom right of board. Then.... If your CPU indicator is on, then it is likely a CPU problem. Re-seat your CPU, remove and inspect for bent pins, reinstall and make sure the retention lock is fully engaged. Attempt only an essentials power up - CPU, CPU cooler, 1 stick of ram (re-seat and make sure it clicks into place), I dont think that board has monitor output on rear IO so reseat your GPU and attempt to power on. Good luck.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately no joy. After each of the above I still get no power at all unless i bridge pins 15 and 16, and then i only get the red CPU LED coming on (plus fans and front panel LEDs). I tried both with and without the GPU since the motherboard does have an HDMI output. The CPU and socket look clean and undamaged.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi shorton335. If you don't mind, can you tell me why you think its a CPU problem and not the motherboard? I'm guessing the next step is to return the CPU to see if its faulty since i have no other way of testing it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I misread your manual, says CPU indicator on means its working properly, apologies. could be mobo.. plus I think its pretty rare to have a CPU DOA.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I am having a very similar problem with Aorus Z390 pro wifi mobo. Please update what works for you. I think I will try to switch mobos as I think a cpu doa is rare also. I will also check before switching the mobo that latest bios is installed

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube