add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

best mechanical low-profile keyboard?

nostalgia2302

3 months ago

So, I'm, or was (I come and go) and World of Warcraft player and one of the reasons I was so good decent is that I could press the laptop's keyboard very fast due to their low profile. Since I switched to PC I stopped playing because the membrane keyboard keys are big, clunky and not responsible enough and it affected my ability to play well.

I could buy a laptop-like membrane keyboard for $20 bucks but I guess I'll give mechanicals a chance.

Which one are good? any thoughts on the CoolerMaster SK650 Low Profile or the Vulcan AIMO? would they provie a laptop-like fast experience?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You sound a bit like me, haha. I hated mech boards until I tried low profile switches. Before then, I was using a Cougar Vantar, a scissor switch low profile board- yes, scissor is membrane, but a decent scissor switch feels nice to me. Think of old Thinkpad keyboards and you would know what I'm talking about. The Cougar wasn't quite up to that standard, but it was a good board that might interest you if you don't want to go all in on a very expensive board.

My current board is a Gamdias Hermes P3 with the low profile brown switches. I dislike linear switches; many laptops still had some tactile feel other than bottoming out, and I just can't get used to not having at least some bump.

The SK650 looks nice, but linear switches and expensive. The Vulcan is nice but only about halfway to a what I'd call a low profile switch at a 1.8mm actuation distance. Logitech is coming out with a low profile board (G815) that I think looks excellent, but it's expensive as well. The Gamdias I have is a contender although the software leaves much to be desired.

If you are solely looking for a low actuation point, the Steelseries Apex Pro is the shortest I know of. Linear low profile switches like in the SK650 are probably the next fastest and are the fastest traditional mech switch. If you want a tactile bump, I believe the G815 is supposed to have that option, or the Hermes P3 with the low profile brown switch.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So, the Vulcan is out. I'll be checking out your other recommendations. Those brands you mentioned aren't as big as others. Are those on the bottom end of or are those keyboards good? Thanks! Also, I just finished watching a video about the difference between Linear, Tactile and Clicky (which is just like tactile with a bit more bump) so it will help me determine which ones I want. But if I understood well, most membrane boards are tactile

BTW my old 2010 laptop was a Toshiba Satellite. I have never liked a laptop's keyboard like that one and I wouldn't know how to describe it. There is almost no noticeable separation between the keys and that helps tremendously with tactility and muscle memory. Most laptops I see today have more noticeably separated keys.

Toshiba Satellite keyboard vs Lenovo Ideapad

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Are those on the bottom end of or are those keyboards good?

Most popular keyboard manufacturers are pretty middling if you ask a keyboard enthusiast. That includes major gaming keyboard brands like Corsair and Logitech. The worst boards are some of the Chinese clones; however some Chinese manufacturers like Redragon actually make some decent boards. If the keyboard is put together well, with decent soldering and good materials, it isn't going to matter whether it was produced by NoName or BigBrand.

The better brands and keyboards tend to have solid metal backplates, more switch options, better keycaps, etc. Ducky and the Glorious GMMK are very highly regarded.

As far as getting flatter, almost touching keys (and yes I remember the Toshiba Satellite boards, they were much nicer than the super flexible mush on a lot of cheap laptops today), there might be a custom keycap set out there. That would limit your switch options though.

Maybe see if you can find some sample keyboards at an electronics store, or even better, order a switch tester. That would probably give you a much better idea of what you might want before dropping good money on a board.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Those new keyboards being released by logitech could be potential choices.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube