add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PATA Optical Drive Distortion Issue

Jeff_Az
  • 6 months ago

I recently did a new build with a mobo that doesn't have PATA ports. I have several old PATA optical drives, all of which work. I also had an old external drive enclosure that has a USB port (Meritline C446358). The plan was to put these together so that I could use the drive to rip old music and video files onto the internal HDD for playback.

I put the pieces together and it seems to work well but somehow in the conversion from data through to usb there is significant distortion being introduced. It doesn't matter whether I attempt to play a music CD through the now external drive or to rip the song onto the HDD and then play it - the result is the same.

It is as though the file is being converted to an over-boosted analog signal.

I have done a bit of googling on this issue but so far haven't found much information or a workaround. I never had this problem with the PATA device was connected to the old mobo through the PATA drive.

These drives do have a an analog audio out that connected to the old mobo, too. Part of me wonders if the sound signal was going through a DAC in the drive and being reconverted when saved on the HDD in the old set up. That would make for some interesting synchronization issues with DVDs, so I tend to doubt it. But then, why have the analog out then?

I am hoping that one of you out there is an expert on how these drives worked. There are no settings to change the output "volume" on the drive itself, nor on the external enclosure.

Thanks.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't used the analog cable for sound from a IDE/PATA Optical Drive in years, it's just not necessary.

I use a Nexstar USB adaptor (that has connectors for IDE and Sata 3.5/2.5 inch drives) to plug my old IDE drives in when I need to...

As for the sound settings that's all handled on the software side.

It'd be helpful if you stated your systems specs and OS.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a link to my build

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming, Ryzen 7 1700, and my OS is Win 10 Pro.

I was just attempting to use the native WMP and save the files as lossless WAV.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't use wav files, I also don't use Windows Media Player.

Try saving your files as either MP3 or FLAC formats... also highly recommend using "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema"

Normally, I'd use CDBurnerXP to rip the CD and then use Audacity to convert the audio files to the format I want. Though I am pretty sure VLC can do it all.

I have gone away from Windows on my new little PC and use WinFF to convert files... it comes as part of Ubuntu 16.04

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube