add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Razer Blade Performing Very Poorly

Polaris11568
  • 6 months ago

Hi Guys! So I recently bought the new 2080 Razer Blade. Ever since I've got it it's worked quite well except recently I've noticed that some games have crazy fps drops. On any other computer I would deal with it but this thing cost 3000$. I really need help with this as I am not even a rookie when it comes to computer troubleshooting. Here are my performance results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19421441

If anyone could please help I would be so happy. Thanks, Matthew

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What games? See if you can use Afterburner to see if you are being heavily limited in certain spots. It wouldn't hurt to check for thermal throttling either.

userbenchmark

Basically useless. Cinebench or Blender runs for the CPU, Unigine Heaven for the GPU, or something to that effect. For stressing Prime95 and Furmark work well enough.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly the games that lag are quite odd. I played both resident evil 2 remake and sekiro perfectly fine but then I play a much worse looking game like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and have issues. Also my PC gets very hot and I heard that's just a razer product issue but is there a way to limit that?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

my PC gets very hot

I'd definitely check the thermals.

The most basic way to improve this is by increasing airflow beneath the system and making sure the fans aren't clogged with dust. Beyond that means either opening it up (repasting and deeper cleaning, checking mounting pressure), or reducing performance via downclocking.

I'm not familiar with how demanding RE:2 or Sekiro are (and reminds me I still need to keep an eye out for Sekiro to go on sale and play it). Kingdom Come: Deliverance is fairly demanding overall but I can't remember if its heavier on the GPU or CPU.

So like I said before: Check thermals while playing, check CPU and GPU usage. You might also try doing consecutive Cinebench runs to see if your CPU is heavily thermal throttling.

And the side note:

I heard that's just a razer product issue

That's more a gaming/powerful laptop issue, especially when crammed in a small form factor. Thermal mass, surface area, and airflow are all heavily constrained, and then forced to try to cool in some cases desktop class parts. Undervolting can significantly reduce thermal load but probably at the cost of performance (and only if its allowed in BIOS, since its done the same way as overclocking, which is frequently disabled on mobile). Manufacturers want the highest spec they can shove in the smallest space. That's how you end up with some high spec laptops performing worse than lower spec ones with better cooling.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

How should I check to see if my fans are clogged and what can I do to fix it?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Open it up and take compressed air to it.

If it's fairly new it's unlikely unless you use it in a very dusty environment, on carpet, etc. but that's one of those basic issues that can mess with thermals.

Before opening it though I'd recommend doing the other checks (both for thermals and CPU/GPU usage in game).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Try looking in task manager to look for any programs you don't want running

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What programs are there to look out for? I usually clear anything I'm not using that is above 1% cpu usage but are there other things I should look out for too?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube