add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Keyboard for my build? Productivity, gaming and photo editing.

davidupatterson

2 months ago

Hey all,

The keyboard is the only piece missing from my build. What to get? I prefer a silent work-space, so I think mechanical keyboards are out unless there's a solution I'm not aware of. I also prefer something a bit more minimalist if possible.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $48.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard $209.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $156.99 @ B&H
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.95 @ Adorama
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card $499.99 @ Best Buy
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Amazon
Monitor LG 27UK650-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor $367.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD-SA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $569.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2642.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-20 23:22 EDT-0400

Thoughts on a good, matching keyboard?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Keyboards are such a matter of personal preference there's not much we can help you with except pointing you in the right direction-

However, you could consider something like a Cherry MX Silent or with o-rings, that would make no noise, but it would take a lot of getting used to if you come from a membrane keyboard.

Honestly I would recommend going to a Microcentre and having a look at the keyboards there

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the "just pick up any old keyboard at Best Buy" approach and will probably go that route.

As much as I want to go mechanical, I'm just not sure I can tolerate all the clacking. I really don't mind mushy membrane keyboards at all.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

If you do want to go mechanical, go with a keyboard with MX Silent Reds or Blacks. I replaced my keyboard in my office at work with a mechanical keyboard with Silent Reds and actually found it to be quieter than my old membrane keyboard. No matter how hard I type, it's quiet, whereas I can sometimes hear people down the hall in other offices pounding away on their typical membrane keyboards.

The clacking that you are referencing only happens on clicky type switches (like MX blue). MX Red and Black (and their silent versions) are not clicky and are not tactile (no bump that tells you when the switch has been activated) - so kind of like a membrane keyboard.

There are a bunch of keyboards that you can view with Silent Reds at mechanicalkeyboards.com.

Good luck.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. And you still get all the advantages of a mechanical keyboards with the silent reds or blacks? Or are there downsides (other than audibly being able to hear the clack and how that might positively impact your typing speed/accuracy)?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes - they are pretty much just red/black switches, but quieter.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube