add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help clear up Win 10 Builds Build 10240 vs 1903

8086xt

5 months ago

I installed Windows 10. The "build version" of Win 10 I had was from its first release in 2015 version called 10240. Do the upgrades/patches after the install, Windows updates, give the latest build 1903?

I ask because I was having all kinds of errors on my new build and install, 2 days worth. Finally I called an MSI tech and he said I should get a newer Win 10 version?

I think I finally fixed most of the errors. BTW not with a new "new" Win 10 install. PCPartPicker Part List PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $133.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $74.99 @ Amazon
Storage HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $72.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $94.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $670.85
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $630.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 20:28 EDT-0400
Should have been very straight forward right!?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Leave 1903 (adopters version for now) and update to 1803 and see if that eliminates the errors.

If not, back up your files and folders and re-install windows fresh. You'll want to look into creating your own Installation media using the 'Windows media creation tool'.

To avoid any license issues, link your MS email with your current Windows License. https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/link-windows-product-key-microsoft-account/ If you don't have an email with Microsoft, make one (it takes a couple of minutes). This is only a precautionary measure as the digital license embedded in the mobo shouldn't prompt for a product key and should work with any problems.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

So do the updates that Windows loaded, and there were many, amount to the same build?

10240 + updates = 1903?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

It's as simple as checking for updates, download and install (automated), and then rebooting the machine. Repeat the process as many times as required until the "check for updates" informs "Windows is up-to-date".

Occasionally the process can encounter problems with the likes of "unable to install". Don't worry about these errors - simply reboot and try again. If the issues persist, it would be a good idea to adopt a fresh installation of Windows.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history looks like we're mixing "build" and "version", where version 1903 is build 18362. Or build 10240 is version 1507. “

Yes I see that. Still am not clear about Win 10 versions and builds. When you update and install patches on an old Win 10 version do you end up with the latest version and build? Or If I had a 5 year old machine and have been regularly updating I always assumed I had the equivalent as a Windows copy being sold presently.

..."I am just curious how/why you were using a 4 year old version of Windows 10asopposed to getting a current ISO from MS.https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10"

I thought the time to update my old Win 10 would be less than downloading a new Win ISO and figuring out how to make a bootable drive etc. Ha! After assembling my new machine I ran into all kinds of lock ups and watchdog errors. I would make it through several updates very slowly with lock ups, BSOD, and reboots etc. I thought I had a bad component. Not easy to tell which one since they are all new! I put on Ubuntu and bam it worked. I assumed the hardware and assembly was correct. Back to Win 10 trying to coax all the updates. I finally got through the updates and the machine ran but still with intermittent lockups. I reluctantly called MSI and the tech suggested a current version Win 10 install. That did the trick! Wasted three days off and on.

Finally Are there different versions of Win 10 even with updates?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube