add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help picking a external monitor for my Alienware Area 51M

PurpleAndGoldEdition28

3 months ago

Hey guys, so I own a Alienware Area 51M laptop with a RTX 2070 and a i7 9700K In it. I’m trying to figure out what monitor should I pair with what I have in the system? I’m kind of thinking at 1080P 60 refresh rate that is built into the laptop itself isn’t letting me use the laptop to its full potential and I’m honestly kind of over 1080P lol. I’m thinking 1440P 144 refresh rate? Currently I’m using my 55inch 4K TV to do some light 4K and it actually has held up better than I imagined. But I know this isn’t ideal so I’m thinking going 1440P would be better or even ultra wide? Suggestions for monitors? Thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The hardware inside is definitely overkill for the panel on the laptop. I believe the 51M has a desktop-grade GPU inside of it rather than a MaxQ so if that's the case, you should be able to achieve close-to 1440p144. You might not be able to achieve that at higher settings but definitely around medium with maybe a few things on high.

I have a 2070, 2700X and a 1440p144 monitor. Most games, I can achieve about 115+ FPS with a mixture of high and medium settings. Some games like Rust for example, I can only achieve about 100 FPS on the 'fast' preset (which is, rather low) and the render distance on max. Other games, I can get the full 144 all day long.

So, with that said, if you're happy with at least 100 FPS across the board on a mixture of medium/high settings, a 1440p 144hz monitor would be the way to go. At 1080p, you shouldn't have an issue achieving 144 FPS across the board at higher settings.

An ultrawide would be even more taxing so expect less FPS. Couldn't tell you how much less to expect though.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you guys! Yep, it is a desktop grade in it. I Was definitely thinking 1440P. I’m fine with medium to high settings as High setting usually high as I go since ultra there is very minor differences. Appreciate the help!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Purple, this is unrelated to your question. But, I've been in the market for the Alienware Area51m; same specs as yours. How are the thermals while gaming? Would you recommend the purchase?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man! The thermals have been fantastic. I would suggest to do a repaste though. The stock paste wasn’t all that great... I have a steady 4.9Ghz on all 8 cores and hottest I seen it was 80 Celsius in battlefield V. But an average temp you’re looking at 50-70’s Celsius. GPU, temps wise I’m always in the 50-60’s. I have yet to see it peak past 72. Keep in mind I overclocked the GPU too with 150+ Core clock and 200+ on memory clock. I personally love my Alienware. My only compliant was the 1080P resolution and the decent SSD and crap HDD. I have upgraded my rig to all SSDs. Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 860 Evo. Been great! Besides that, taking apart the laptop for the first time may be a pain in The butt, but once you do it once, easy! Just YouTube how to take it apart honestly. Make sure to check for updates regularly as the built in stuff kind of sucks and doesn’t check like it should automatically. Use MSI afterburner and intel extreme unity for overclocking (Alienware command center sucks for overclocking) good for changing your lights and everything though! Sound wise, I think it’s really solid. Can mess with it in the command center, lightning is solid. For the panel that’s on the laptop, it’s very solid, won’t lie. I just wish they went with 1440P. But what you’re paying for, you really are getting a great gaming desktop replacement for on the go. It will handle any game you throw at it for sure. If I was you though, do take advantage of the hardware you got and do get a monitor so you can really use it to fill potential. Any tips, keep the sucker cleaner! It does attract dirt and dust easy for some reason. Not sure why, but it just easily builds up. But a simple wipe down once a week with a cloth, good as new! Oh, get a cooling pad or something to sit the laptop up so it can breathe.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube