add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Clicked a Ram stick into place while PC was turned off.

NinjaToothpick
  • 6 months ago

My friend realized her pc was only showing one stick of RAM so she turned her pc off and clicked one back into place cause it had been loose since she installed them. Now she only has a black screen can anyone help? I've built my own PC and everything but never really been good at troubleshooting

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Did she either unplug the power cord or switch off the power button on the back of the PSU? Simply turning off the PC is not enough when installing/removing/reseating components, as there is still power applied to the system.

First, unplug cord or switch off PSU button. Locate and remove the round button shaped CMOS battery from the mobo for 10-20 seconds, then reinstall ensuring it's properly seated. Next, reseat all RAM modules. Plug in power cord/ switch on PSU power button. Lastly, start PC normally using front IO power switch.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Try switching off the psu, unplug it and take out the ram. After put them back in and make sure they both make the click and plug it back and switch it on again. Turn on the power button and see if this helped :)

• 6 months ago
  • -1 points

Remove and reinstall both sticks of memory then reset CMOS.

As long as the PC is cut off unplugging the power supply don't matter.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually unplugging the PC does matter. Power is still flowing as long as either it is plugged in ir the PSU is switched. Removing or adding parts without doing one of the two can result in a sudden surge of power and potentially kill components.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes, but ram is usually separated far enough from the source that it is very unlikely to be affected by it. The motherboard, on the other hand, would be the at-risk component here.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

The PSU still has some power but your not going to get a power surge unless it cuts on. Their no reason to unplug it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I need to correct something because I wrote this from my phone and didn't check it before submitting.

Power is still flowing as long as either it is plugged in or the PSU is switched on.*

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube