add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading an older MacBook Pro

ProbablyProdigy
  • 6 months ago

Recently purchased a 2012 MacBook Pro with the 2.9GHz i7, 250GB HDD and 8GB of RAM. Got a really good deal on it because it needs a little work. I'm also thinking about upgrading it at the same time. Might keep it for those times that I want Mac-specific software otherwise I'll probably sell it for a small profit. After all, I'm a Windows and Android kind of guy.

What it needs:

• Battery replacement

• Speaker replacement. Both left and right channels.

• Command key is sticky. Might just need cleaning.

What I want to upgrade:

• 8GB of RAM to 16GB. Is the 8GB stick soldered or is that removable?

• 250GB HDD to a 500GB SSD.

• Replace optical drive with a 2.5" enclosure for another 500GB SSD later on. Maybe never. Dunno.

• Lastly, slap on a fresh dbrand skin.

Thoughts from anybody who has worked on one of these things? I don't want to dig myself a hole that I can't climb out of.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Speaker replacement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ULTMeBxHJ0

• RAM isn't soldered in (on this model), and it is easy to upgrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9hazA5hRo

SSD upgrade should be straightforward, you shouldn't need too much

https://macpaw.com/how-to/upgrade-mac-with-ssd

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for these! Good to know the RAM isn't soldered.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What specific model is it?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

13-inch, mid 2012 non-retina.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know!

I've seen these brackets that allow you to remove the optical drive and the bracket doubles as a 2.5" enclosure for a new drive. Might be something I will look into although I won't need two drives for my uses.

I use a 1TB SU800 in my desktop and love it. I don't need the 860 Pro. I'll probably settle for something like an MX500 or 860 Evo.

Ah, definitely too much for my uses haha.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I understand that these 13" MacBooks with the i7 is somewhat rare to find so I'm glad to have it. I paid $120 and it's in perfect cosmetic condition besides a scratch on the top lid. The skin will cover that up so I'm not too worried. It'll be a total investment of about $350-400 once I'm done. Not bad considering.

That wasn't me. I upvoted to bring you back to 1.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube