add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I found a computer by a dumpster and have no clue where to begin

WWS1994
  • 5 months ago

Hello everyone. So I work at an apartment complex and someone left what appears to be a gaming pc by our dumpster. Just before I found it I had tossed around the idea of building my own but i know very very little on the subject. So I've taken this thing to geek squad and they basically told me to scrap it but I've had other people tell me it could be worth saving. So here is what's on the inside (remember I have NO IDEA what I'm doing or if any of this is good so any insight would be greatly appreciated)

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-G1 (black edition?)

4 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4GB)

MSI Twin Frozr III

Western Digital 500GB

Intel SSD 240GB

Intel SSD 300GB

Also has a power supply

So that's everything from what I've googled. Now when it comes to starting it up the power button on the top of the case is disconnected and I haven't gotten that far into figuring out where it goes but there is a power button right on the motherboard. If I press that it gets a little weird. It will turn on sometimes for 2 seconds. Sometimes 30. But eventually it will stay on and not shut off on it's own.

The display on the board itself will show both an A6 and an A9 readout and from what I've looked up those are error codes but again I don't know what I'm doing.

Unfortunately I didn't have a display to hook it up to but I'm hoping someone here knows more about this and would be willing to guide me in the right direction. As of now I don't know if I should just scrap this thing, get a couple bucks from the parts, add/replace parts and get it running again/ or start a new build of my own from scratch.

Any help at all would be awesome. Thanks!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Storage id always worth saving if it works correctly.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd replace the PSU straight away...

Also what condition is the motherboard? Are any of the caps swollen, bulging, rust or leaking?

Whats the age of the SSD? How many write cycles have they had (you should be able to see with the diagnostic software for the drive)?

Can you get into the BIOS and tell us what CPU it has?

I had a quick Google, the A6 error code seems to be from your SSD not being correctly configured in the BIOS, no idea about the A9 error code... does the system post if you detach all the drives?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube