add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will r5 2600 bottleneck an rtx 2080?

warden66

7 days ago

Title says it all. r5 2600 (not x)

Comments

• 7 days ago
  • 2 points

I believe the more convenient response to this question is "no".

It's a given, a faster single threaded processor will uncap some additional FPS performance but nothing substantial enough to warrant an upgrade. The Ryzen 2600 and RTX 2080, or similar generational hardware will all present some level of bottleneck, whether it's CPU/GPU based, active system properties, drivers, game code optimisations, RAM speeds/latency, etc etc. Being both of these parts belong to the current GEN/s of surpass-able performance, you have nothing to worry about.

Although, if you are purchasing both parts new, I would be more in favour of a Ryzen 3600 + RX 5700 XT / RTX 2070 Super combo (not bottleneck-free, but a more balanced all-rounder)

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what your doing, at what resolution, and at what refresh rate. And change any of the above three and the answer changes.

There just isn't any solid answer that can be given without knowing the above.

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

Well I feel bottlenecking is the wrong term here. You have to consider the games you are wanting to play and the resolution and frame rate you are targeting. Both the CPU and GPU needs to meet the requirements for the game to achieve desired performance.

A solid 6 core 12 thread CPU will handle any modern game well but if you are trying to target 165hz or 200hz then I would suggested an unlocked Intel CPU. 144hz depends on the game for a 2600 but the 3600 would be a better pick, anything less its fine.

As for resolution this is entirely on the GPU. A 2080 can handle many games at 4k and is a solid pick if your goal is 1440p. I would not even bother with a 2080 on a 1080p screen as the GPU can dish out far more than what a 1080p screen can even display.

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

It will to some extent in relation to a better performing CPU, but still very playable.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

RTX 2080 < RTX 2080 Ti, so the difference will be a bit lower.

At 1440p or even 4K the differences are way smaller though.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Will r5 2600 bottleneck an rtx 2080?

Yes but it is a question of "does it matter?". At higher resolutions you probably will hit a GPU bottleneck before CPU, at lower resolution it depends on your monitor. 60Hz? No does not matter. 144Hz? Not much. 240Hz? Might matter if you demand 240fps manifest to your eyes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube