add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it worth it to build my own laptop?

sanjsrik

2 months ago

Is that possible using pcpartpicker's build tool? I see lots of builds for desktops but none for laptops.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Is it worth it to build my own laptop?

Generally no. It's not impossible of course but there's challenges and costs that make it not terribly attractive as an affordable/superior DIY.

1. Laptops are harder to work with, that compact form factor is a challenge. From a parts, cooling and compatibility perspective there's a lot of challenges involved. Those challenges would even further limited very limited shopping and availability options.

2. There's just not much of a market for laptop components retail. The result is low volume equates to high prices as anyone selling that kind of hardware has to make it worth their while.

3. Laptop components tend to be highly integrated so not only is building hard, but upgrades are hard, which contributes to the low volume of components and high prices. And even in years bygone when a laptop with an upgradeable GPU would be released, the upgrade was obscenely expensive. Like $900 for a GTX 980M. Because highend laptops are already a low volume product, and the specific models that might have upgradeable graphics would only make up a fraction of those sales and then the people who actually decide to upgrade only a fraction of the model owners. Low volume -> high prices.

I mean it's not impossible but it has something you want to do as a enthusiast without concern for price. And a lot of people building desktops are doing it because they can get very good machines with specific hardware for quite a bit cheaper than a pre-built once they get beyond the entry level. A self-built laptop is just going to be extremely expensive no matter what.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.eluktronics.com/build-your-own/

This is basically the closest you'll get without an R&D department.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can find and buy all the parts for a laptop, then go ahead and build one. Who knows, You might be the first one to do that!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube