add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade windows and new pc

raythepurple
  • 8 months ago

I'm on an old PC running 8.1. I'm about to build a new PC. Already ordered a new SSD, have some other parts, getting rest soon. Can I, or should I, put the SSD in this old PC first, upgrade from win 8.1 on HDD to win10 on SSD, then when I get the rest of the parts put the SSD in new build? I usually have my brother handle this kind of thing but I'd like to try to do it myself and if I screw it up ask him to help.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

uh... idk if whats im bout to say is rite, but k

Maybe transfer the Windows 8.1 to the SSD, upgrade it from there. Best I can think of. You're sitll required to buy Windows 10 key the activate it though

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Instead of upgrading, just install a clean version of windows 10. Then once that is running on the SSD you can plug in the old HDD as a secondary drive. Move any files you have from the old HDD to the SSD temporarily, then once you have everything you need off of it, format the HDD to clean that up and move your data files back to it from the SSD. Then everything is cleaned up and fresh, and you don't have the old win 8.1 sitting on the HDD.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you install the new SSD into the old computer, install win 10 onto the new SSD and run that set-up, I think you'll need to re-install windows 10 onto the new SSD (again) when you put that new SSD into the new computer, with the new mobo.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The best you can do is as Crasyfool said. Nice and clean. Good luck!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube