add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I move a old hdd to my pc?

SaucyBro

4 months ago

Hello so I was given a computer and I need to get the pictures off. The pc doesn't work, so my option now is to take out the hdd and put it in my main rig and transfer it there. The problem is that I don't know if I could do that, as the hdd has a wide string attached to it from the motherboard. I've never seen something like this and need to know if it's compatible with my PCPartPicker Part List motherboard before doing anything. Does anyone know? This pc is over 10 years old so yeah.. appreciate any help I can get

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The wide string thing as you call it is ide and will not connect to your board you might can find a ide to sata adapter. I haven't seen a old ide drive in a bunch of years.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, this pc gave me a lot of surprises. Is this what I should do? https://youtu.be/0UtHJnMlDAY

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Man that must be old. You can always find adapters for old junk that should have been given a proper funeral a decade ago. Heck, I work at a place that REQUIRES extension cards for tech that hasn't been current since the 90s. I'd recommend getting the cheapest external adapter you can find, copying it overnight, and junking it. Found this on Amazon, but not power connector

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-IDE-Adapter-CB-ISA225-U3/dp/B01E7EPKUO/ref=asc_df_B01E7EPKUO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309743296044&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16791578870782861366&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027289&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-571722167468&psc=1

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's probably what I'm going to do thanks, but is there another solution without having to spend $? I just found out what hard drive it is PCPartPicker Part List It says its compatible with my pc for some odd reason..

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really, unless you know someone who has worked in IT for over ten years. Good chance they have something in a bin somewhere.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll do that then, seems really easy to do and there's no other solution right now anyways. What surprised me that this pc has 256mb of ram lol. Thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube