add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Was working great for years - updated windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwill416

4 months ago

So I built this for my sons a few years back now, they have since moved onto girls, darn them and so now its my at home system for doing work things and some light gaming. Parts listed

here:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mwill416/saved/#view=vD4ccf

anyway it was starting to lock up to where I decided to update windows on it. the update failed, totally locked up at 75% of downloading files. I rebooted it and I have no BIOS screen at all, no mouse, no keyboard lighting up - nothing. I borrowed a POST test thing from work and hooked it up, it is totally dead with no codes and none of the indicator lights lit up. I am assuming this means that somehow I fried the mother board.

So QUESTION IS do I try to test it another way? or does the POST test really indicate it is dead? and if I do replace it should I get the same board which seems super cheap now or upgrade it with something.

sorry for long message.

thanks in advance

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That sounds more like a dead PSU. Given the older group regulated unit, it seems possible.

To really be thorough though:

1. Remove the drives. If the Windows update somehow is the cause, removing both drives should at least get you into a "boot media not found" type screen. If you see that, then a clean install of Windows should work.

2. Remove extra parts: Test with a single RAM stick, no GPU, no drive or only boot drive.

3. If neither of the above works, assume its the PSU and pick up a cheap but quality unit like a Corsair CX. You don't have to do all the cable management and rewiring at first; I'd be extra lazy and just unplug the old one and plug in the new via open side panel.

4. At that point, if you can get a response, then start replacing components to make sure nothing else died with the PSU. Remove, rewire, there you go.

5. If no responses still, the PSU may have taken the motherboard with it. At that point, look into a new system. You might be able to salvage the GPU and drives if lucky, so getting just the CPU/mobo/RAM would be a good start. Example budget option

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thanks for the reply. i will work thru all of the above. The fans do come on when I hit the power button so its got some power from the PSU.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It worked fine all this time , "you updated"- now it doesn't. It's software. If applicable after a clean backup, wipe the drive and do a new install , don't mess with updates. Being, it was "updated" and now is longer working as intended. Idc about "updates" they ruin more things than help.. this is me a "to each their own" type thing. Peace

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

How can I wipe the drive when it wont even boot to the BIOS screen?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

are you getting anything on screen when you hit the power button? are the fans spinning? you're initial analysis may be correct about the board being bad. an update to software "shouldn't" brick a component, unless it was malicious. try a linux distro "live" off of a usb- hit f11 before post and select the usb drive, "if applicable" this will give you options to wipe the drive-it won't work if the board is baked. did you hit the right key/keys to get into the uefi before post?- the manual you have for the board will say what key it is. if the board is bad go asus or msi for the skylake platform- if you decide to keep the cpu. Then again it very well may be the ram, itself, going bad- it has a high latency for that speed and with that said -cheap- so it's a "possibility" the new update bricked the ram, it as well "will not boot" if the ram is bad, if applicable try a different stick," if" that may be the cause, 1 is all you need to "boot" to the uefi, a 4gb stick would be fine to "boot". if that doesn't work then somehow the board itself might be bad, again, "if" you decide to keep the chip, go with asus or msi with the skylake platform. reasons is asus has good boards with that platform and I've had extremely good luck with msi since the z97 days. just some suggestions and ideas. Peace.....

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree have had no boot and nothing does anything (no beep codes or mb fault lights) other than fans on and it was either memory or GPU issue.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

I do not get anything on the screen at all. The fans do spin up but my keyboard which has colored lights built into it usually does this little light show when I turn it on - it is not doing that now. It also does not beep at all, which is something I thought it did when entering the BIOS.

I have my usb with windows installation setup inserted but it never reads it.

I tried booting it with the USB installed and not installed - no difference.

I tried booting it with no ram sticks, 1 ram stick, both ram sticks and again no difference.

Again since the POST tester is totally dark when i try to boot the machine then that would seem to sat the mother board is dead. As I understand things.

again thanks

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

did you hit f11 before post?-this will give options to "boot" from whatever media- interesting. - the board is getting power. - you "need" a functioning ram stick to boot- if the ram went bad, somehow, it will not work , as I was saying above try a different stick as well try a different video port. again- as I said you're initial analysis that may be correct, "but" I don't see a win update bricking a board, possible :yes, but I don't see it. I mentioned everything I was going to say in my previous post. I believe the system to be fine-as all you did was "update" it. try, unplug the the psu cord- pull the battery for like 3-4minutes--to drain "existing" power. Then try the ram and hit the key to get into the UEFI-if you can get this far -you're hardware is "most likely" fine. It's "possible" that the very media you have to install win is corrupt somehow-causing a conflict within of itself-idk- but possible, you should however be able to get into the UEFI "without it" It's as well "possible" is why you can't see anything on screen- idk- The ram "may" have went bad during this ordeal. It "won't" do anything normal if there's bad ram. If you can, easy troubleshoot, try the ram in a different machine as well as the gpu "AND" cpu- if applicable. This in of itself will determine if the board is bad. Good luck

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Does not make a difference if i press any key at all as i do not think it even has the keyboard enabled. On my machine its F12.

I have 4 sticks of RAM, 2 that have been installed in the PC and 2 I bought and never put it in. I tried every one and makes no difference.

Maybe the scenario of events may help.

1. About a month ago it started to randomly lock up so the mouse and keyboard were unresponsive. I do not have a reset button so I had to use the off and on button to restart the machine. Doing that usually made machine usable again but not always - sometimes I was rebooting it 3 or 4 times before it was usable again. It would totally boot but the keyboard and mouse were non-responsive.

2. Last week I was home on a workday with sick child so I decided to reinstall windows on it. I started the install from the USB I was given from the repair shop the last time it did this crap. the install ran for about an hour showing progress and rebooting like it said it would. then the progress meter froze on the screen at 78% "Updating Files" I believe. I let it sit overnight to see if it would un-hang itself but it was the same the next morning,

3. So I rebooted it withe USB in place and it booted to the windows logon but again the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive. So i rebooted it again. It did not even display the splash screen or light the keyboard, and the monitor just shows its own no input detected message.

4. So I reset the BIOS using a paper clip on the mother board - I did not know i was suppose to unplug the machine before doing so but it was powered down.

5. I was getting nothing so i borrowed the POST test thing from guy at work. It is like this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDLYAZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. it does not light up at all when I install it.

6. I went thru removing the graphics card and trying to boot it, i went thru the memory sticks trying, all yield the same results - nothing at all but the fans spinning up.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I check off a list of basic things, when no boot at all (no boot to error, or bad media, bios, etc) then its usually a basic item like bad mem/cpu/GPU card/psu/possibly keyboard but most PC will look for input devices after part of the boot has happened and sounds like yours is not. So I would reseat all plugs/cards and take out anything you don't need like extra drives or cards/etc. Then test each one, if you tested the psu then you got that, check the other items best you can, swap in one mem at a time and so on. It could be the MB but often its not so worth checking the list first. I doubt a windows update would do anything to the bios, but if something failed during the update it might mess up windows but windows is a lot better these days about fixing itself so I'd worry about that later and assume hardware failure especially given previous problems with it. If you get to buying a MB then you will have to decide if you want to upgrade anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube