add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LAPTOP UPGRADE QUESTION HELP COMPATIBLE RAM MEMORY I7-8750 LEGION Y740

jarcollee

1 month ago

MODEL 81HE0004US

LAPTOP UPGRADE QUESTION HELP COMPATIBLE RAM MEMORY I7-8750 LEGION Y740 LAPTOP,UPGRADE,QUESTION,HELP,COMPATIBLE,RAM,MEMORY,I7-8750,LEGION,Y740,

how can you be 100% sure that a certain type of ram upgrade is compatible with your PC? and HOW can you be sure WHICH upgrade is going to be the most effective for your system?? there HAS to be a 100% applicable determining factor that answers this question! Is it the CPU that determines which RAM upgrade will be compatible and effective with your PC? The motherboard?

i upgraded my lenovo legion y740 ram to 32gb 3200mhz kingston hyper x impact. (2xsticks of 16 gb ram) and i chose this option carefully after matching EVERY single spec that applies to RAM with the options that crucial.com presented to me based on my specific laptop. BUT---Crucial.com ONLY gives you CRUCIAL BRAND options when running a check for compatibility. There is simply NO WAY that crucial is the only brand that is compatible with my laptop for upgrades, and i base that statement on the fact that my laptop's STOCK configuration consists of---

M.2 PCIe NvME SSD drive from SAMSUNG BRAND...

A 2.5in HDD from SEAGATE BRAND..

AND 2 8gb RAM sticks from RAMAXEL BRAND......

so after looking at all of the other brands and other options on the market, i simply noted the specs of the crucial brand components that crucial.com claims are compatible with my PC and MATCHED those specs PERFECTLY with those of other brands and made upgrade purchases based on those specs' similarities.

So far, The only component i have recieved in the mail and was able to put to the test, is the previously mentioned RAM upgrade by Kingston. AND- i do have what MAY be a problem after installing. After installing the RAM from Kingston that PERFECTLY matches the specs of the compatible Crucial brand RAM upgrade suggested by crucial.com, the cpu constantly runs at nearly FULL clock speeds at idle. But the cpu remains at perfectly normal temperatures ( 50-55c)

the cpu is an I7 8750H

BUT--the ram runs at 2666 mhz clock speed just as the stock ram did, when it should be running at 3200mhz clock speed. i know that i am supposed to enable xmp in bios to unlock the full speed of the new ram sticks, but i dont think it is possible with my specific laptop-- Lenovo Legion Y740 ICHg with Intel I7 8750H processor.

even if i cannot overclock the ram as i am supposed to by enabling xmp, shouldn't it provide an overall improvement even if it only runs at 2666 speeds as opposed to the full 3200mhz speed it is capable of? How could it possibly affect the cpu's clock speed? and why would it suddenly force the cpu to run at higher clock speeds when Idle?? And even if the RAM upgrade is an overkill as far as RAM clock speeds go, it should NOT have a negative affect on the overall performance of the PC in any way right???

Crucial.com guaruntees that Crucial brand RAM sticks of the EXACT SAME SPECS are 100% compatible with my PC. To be specific here is a link to the RAM that Crucial.com guarantees compatible...

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/legion-y740-%2815-inch%29/CT14308509

The laptop in question here is Lenovo Legion Y740 15 inch

model number is Y740-15ICHg so feel free to enter that into their compatibility check and see for yourself. then match the specs EXACTLY of that specific crucial brand RAM upgrade to the specs of the upgrade that i bought and installed which is

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-HX432S20IBK2-32/dp/B07BGLKD4M?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BGLKD4M

The stock ram installed in the laptop when i bought it (straight from lenovo.com brand new) was 2 sticks of ddr4 8gb sodimm ramaxel brand, equaling 16 gb ram total and clocked at 2666mhz. the upgrade is a perfect fit physically. it is immediately recognized by windows 10 system information as 32gb. it is automatically clocked at 2666mhz speed, but for some reason after the upgrade was installed, the cpu stays at max clock speed when under no load, and cpu clock speed is then drastically reduced after running a load on the cpu (for example- by running a game or other cpu taxing application.) what is the problem here??? and how can i find out what ram is compatible enough to improve over the stock ram without taking away from the overall experience in some other way?? what is the ULTIMATE determining factor which decides what RAM will provide a fully beneficial increase in performance without sacrificing performance in another area of the PC? it is insanity that this question is not easily answered, and everyone seems to have an answer without any reliable explanation for it.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Don’t cross post to other forums on this site. One is sufficient.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll repost my comment from your dupe thread -

Per the lenovo page the fastest ram speed for your laptop is 2666, that's your determining factor :D

But tbh intel doesn't really gain a big advantage like amd cpus with faster ram so it's not rally worth worrying about.

I've no idea what's going on with the cpu clockspeed thing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So long...

OK, so you only need to check the compatible slot interface and amount. The excessive speed only gives you diminishing return, if not nothing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube