add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did I brick my motherboard?

Flavor2735
  • 4 months ago

So as the message states I think I may have bricked it. I got everything installed in my new system and it booted right up like a charm and loaded straight into windows.

I started updating drivers and saw the bios for the motherboard also needed updating so I went ahead and loaded the new bios on a flash drive and loaded into the bios to update and I hit m flash (B450 Tomahawk) and now can't get a picture or load the bios or anything.

It seems the everything has power. All the fans and lights turn on for the MB and everything but nothing boots.

Any ideas or do I need to just need to buy another motherboard?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You can try to flash it again but you Never update the BIOS on a board unless your having problems that the new BIOS version says it fixes. For this exact reason you took a perfectly working PC and bricked it.

You can contact MSI and see if they will sell you a new BIOS chip if all else fails.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I just assumed I would want the newest version. My 2nd ever build so I now know for the future I guess 😬

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

expensive lesson.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

with all that said, he can get a free new mobo

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah and how's that?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

When you turn it in all it does is sit there doing nothing? Have you tried letting sit for a few minutes? Try to reset bios and see if anything changes? Tried to do a bios flashback?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it has power because like I said it powers on all the case and CPU fans but it just does nothing after that. I've tried letting it sit and nothing and I've also tried a bios flash back using only the motherboard. I can't get it to respond to anything. The weird thing is I never even got to the point to select the file the first time I tried in the actual bios either.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

First I would try to reboot half dozen times because if something gets messed up in bios it will usually track back the changes when it can't boot. Does it have a bios reset? Then I would pull/reseat/swap memory combos as that can cause it. GPU could also have issue and cause it. Double check all your wiring plugs and so on. Its not necessarily your bios doing it. I would check all that stuff before I hassled sending the MB back.

When I fired up my Asus x470 the first thing I did was put new drivers and bios in it, they were both old. MB is not much good in the future if you can't flash it. This isn't 1980...though my Asus LED software would not install on brand new win10, pretty weak.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I will go ahead and give that a shot when I get back home later today. Honestly I'm not sure if it has a bios reset. How much time should I give it between reboots? It will just sit there and run all the fans and CPU cooler till I force power it off right now.

If I still can't get anyting I honestly might just try returning to Amazon for a credit. It seems like their returns are pretty simple and maybe I can get it through no problem.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Reboot, when it goes quiet I give it 5 seconds in that case. My new system boots so fast it would be obvious if it had a problem, with a 2400G and a m.2 drive.

Some MB have a reset button or procedure, some don't. Most do it by themselves now but I don't have time to look yours up. I almost bought that MB then they cut the price on x470 prime and I went with that.

All I am saying is double check it over, it could be something else. Maybe it is trashed and you will have to return it/etc. But would save you time if it was some other thing you could find with some quick checks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube