add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RAM running at 1496MHz instead of 2933/3000MHz

Agoraphobia

4 months ago

I'm no expert with RAM speeds, but I have set the XMP profile to 3000MHz, and then 2933MHz, neither got above 1496MHz (2933 got 1498 for some reason). The mobo (ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0) specs says it can handle up to 3200MHz OC, not sure how to go about OC RAM though. Currently using Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz C16, it's not on ASRock's QVL for this board, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Your RAM is Double Data Rate (e.g. "DDR"), so for each clock "tick", DDR RAM transfers data on both the rising and falling edge of the clock signal. So you're getting just shy of 3000MHz by using XMP 3000MHz.

What's your CPU? And what mobo bios version are you running?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

R5 2600 and P2.00 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2. Date says 3/4/19, but ASRock's BIOS list says it released 4/17/19.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Some thoughts...since the memory controller on Ryzen 2600 CPUs can support 2933 or 3200 RAM speed (and not 3000MHz RAM speed...it's a Ryzen thing), you could try to OC/XMP your RAM 3200 and test if that is stable.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I could. It's not really that necessary for me, was just curious about the numbers discrepancy, though I'm not in the know on this.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing is wrong leave as it is.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I intend to, but could you explain this.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Dual channel 1496 X 2 (dual channel) 2992 your not going to get it to say 1500 their not exact like that.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So, if I'm understanding correctly, that 2933/3000MHz is just the combined speed of the two modules while 1496MHz is the actual speed of an individual module?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, but understand that each RAM stick, aka DIMM, has two modules. DIMM stands for dual in-line memory module. So even if you had one DIMM installed it would still run at 2933 Hz for the DIMM or 1496 for each module.

Clear is mud, right?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well at least it makes some sense. Much appreciated!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the 1496 is showing the speed on a single stick. Since your running dual channel it is like going back and forth from one stick to the other so actually doubling the speed you see. If you only had a single stick it would show close to the 3000 speed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube