add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux support on modern AMD Ryzen 3 / Intel 9th Gen desktop computers

rmicmir
  • 7 months ago

Hi PCPP members!

I have found very little information about Linux support and compatibility on modern hardware, specially on: - Intel 9th Gen with Z390 chipset - AMD Ryzen 3 with X570 chipset - PCI Express 4.0 - NVME SSDs

I've read that NVME, for example, has been inside the Linux kernel for some time but I'm not able to find any relevant information about the other hardware.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Which hardware was working out-of-the-box and which gave you headaches? Which distros are you running on this modern systems? I'm a GNU Debian user so I'm specially interested in that distro.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I can speak very generally to this, as I have run Linux on both 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen (not 3rd gen yet). I'll give you what info I can, because this website is honestly not terribly friendly towards or helpful for nix users (there are some good/helpful users here, but most people don't seem to understand anything beyond M$ Windoze). For a resource regarding using Linux with new hardware, Phoronix tends to be pretty good.

There are two issues I ran into, and you will run into - kernel support, and system/temp monitoring. Both of those will likely be more problematic with a distro like Debian because it leans towards "stable" as opposed to "cutting edge". Some distros will backport kernel modules, but the "easiest" way to get in-kernel support for new hardware is to run a new kernel. Unfortunately, the "easiest" way to do that is a rolling distro (which is a markedly different style than Debian)... As for the system monitoring - it depends on what chip the motherboard uses.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube