add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Get rid of OS on HDD (New OS on SSD

Bhudspeth

4 months ago

New OS is installed on SSD. I already formatted my HDD, but the OS on the HDD is still showing up when I turn on my computer. How do i get rid of the second OS option.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

New OS is installed on SSD. I already formatted my HDD, but the OS on the HDD is still showing up when I turn on my computer. How do i get rid of the second OS option.

At this point, it might be easier to delete the partition and redo the partition process with the hard drive. It will wipe out everything though (technically just enough to reformat the hard drive as a clean slate).

• Login to a user Admin Account from your SSD's OS. Assuming you backed up your personal files / important files. Remember where START used to be which is now a Windows Logo. Hover your mouse over the Windows Logo and right-click it. Then highlight to select and left-click Disk Management.
This is just possibility process but ignore this as this may not happen either. [Varies if a Hard Drive was deleted ahead of time which might do this: If it asks to Initialize Disk then select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and left-click OK.]
  • Locate your original Hard Drive (NOT your SSD or any other storage if there). It can be called Disk 0 or Disk 1 or some other Disk # as long you remember which hard drive you had.

• Left-click to select your Hard Drive and right-click it. Select to highlight and left-click on Delete Volume. It may ask: "Deleting this volume will erase all data on it. Back up any data you want to keep before deleting. Do you want to continue?" Select and left-click Yes if you are ready. You should see the Hard Drive now as Unallocated.

• Now with your hard drive as unallocated, you can redo the partition process and you should notice that the previous OS is no longer there, along with many other data.

• So next step is to right-click on the unallocated hard drive and select to highlight and left-click on New Simple Volume. Should see a window "New Simple Volume Wizard", so left-click Next. Leave the Simple volume size in MB as is and left-click Next. Assign the following drive letter (A:/B:/D:/E:/F: ...) of your choice or leave it as it was before then left-click Next.

• Leave the Format this volume with the following settings: as is. Meaning keep File system as NTFS, Allocation unit size as Default but name your drive from Volume label with your preference. Leave the check mark on Perform a quick format and officially left-click Next.

• Select and left-click Finish to officially partition your previous hard drive that used to have your OS. And it's ready to be used for anything like installing your games, and storing your files/photos/videos etc.

I forgot to link this. Here is a visual example with an unallocated hard drive on Windows 10 if this helps a bit too.

NOTE: Do make sure your SSD is the priority boot from your BIOS and not your hard drive.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Eltech Wow thats awesome I will tackle this in the morning.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries. If have any questions or need clarifications, I'll be around.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Eltech: All done it all worked thankyou very much!!!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Wonderful! Happy for you and no problem. Glad you got your hard drive setup as additional storage.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

just set the boot order to the ssd frist

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube