add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 8 laptop --> PC.

ryanbbball
  • 74 months ago

Heres my situation. tomorrow i will have a brand new unused gaming pc. i currently have a laptop running windows 8. how do i transfer the windows on the laptop to the pc? thanks :) i dont really wanna buy it AGAIN...

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi,

You need to be aware that PC manufacturers buy the licence from MS very heavily discounted, and to do that, the m/f is required to tie it to the motherboard in one way or another. This means you may not be able to install the same OS copy on another PC at all - be it laptop or desktop. So MS makes another sale.....

To do what you want to do will only be possible in certain circumstances, and if you come back with the details of the source of the old PC, the OS and the installation media you may be able to use, then others more experienced that I will possibly be able to advise.

Yes, it's unpleasant, but has always been that way. There may be hope though http://www.techspot.com/news/55906-documentation-details-low-cost-windows-81-with-bing.html

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

That's actually a great idea but unfortunately I have just got a new one and it would be the wrong size anyway...

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube