add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Liquid Cooling or air cooling with many fans?

RoxasForTheWin

70 months ago

I'm tied up between getting a decent 30-50$ air cooler for my cpu which I do not intend to overclock with, and was wondering what would be better. I'm not going to lie, water-cooling worries me, but I'm willing to try it if the benefits are that much. If a good air cooler would also keep temps in a decent range (better than a stock AMD) I was thinking of getting more case fans when I pick up a new case and cooler Water Cooling does have better temps and overclocking headroom, but I don't have much use for a faster cpu atm

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Are stock AMD coolers really so bad that the CPU will fry if they're used even without OCing?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

They wouldn't sell you something that would fry....in the first year anyway. Stock coolers just don't cool very well, so it's going to run hotter=shorter lifespan. From what I read, AMD run hotter than intel, so ditching the stock fan is more important on those.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

No, the stock is just EXTREMELY loud under load (sadly what I'm using most of the time) It won't destroy your build if you do normal stuff like document editing, but expect loads of noise if you do anything intensive

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Both small liquid and a nice aftermarket cooler will have very similar performace, with the liquid being slightly better. Both will max out stock cooling and do some good light or medium overclocking.

So what it really comes down, is your budget and personal aesthetics choice. I despise the looks of the cm evo 212, since it's gaudy huge and it as wide as your case. I like the corsair H60 or the Enermax http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214055

But just something I prefer, its up to you.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for replying, so I should get a decent air cooler and case fans then?

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thank you!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube