add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need assistance with new gaming rig

unekmike911

10 days ago

Hi I recently posted in here about some other issue I had but after seeming resolving it I'm just not sure of the status of my PC, It's a i7 9700k 32gb 3200mhz Msi gtx 1080ti On a Asus maximus xi hero

I've have overclocked the CPU to 5ghz with temps never going over 80 while stress testing and never over 70 will gaming.

My issue is that the PC double posts when it cold boots, not too much of an issue as I've read it's normal .

But while trying to play gta 5 last night I noticed it runs kinda funky, by that I mean I have all settings at very high at 1440p the game runs at around 130 to 150fps but the in-game settings show I'm hardly using any vram and around 70ish percent CPU power and the game sometimes takes a hard stutter.

Could it be something with my overclock? I'm thinking I may have done something wrong. On cinebench r15 it scored 1600ish and that seems low for such an overclocked CPU.

Any help would be great Thanks. Sorry I'm kinda new to this stuff

Comments

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a HDD or an SSD?

I've had stuttering in games myself from a dying HDD, upon replacing the drive the issue went away... not saying that's your problem but how old is your HDD (assuming its a HDD you have) have you run any kind of diagnostic software or tests on your HDD.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

I have a m.2 ssd for my OS and another ssd for my games along with a large HDD for random files and such. All new too.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

I remember there being a setting I had to turn off in GTA v. something to disable it from searching your PC for music to play on the in game radio. Would peg disc usage causing stutters while driving every once in awhile.

don't go by in-game estimated usage, make sure you're monitoring using something like MSI afterburner.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Okay I will look for that tonight when I get off work and see if that helps. I'm also looking at HWinfo for the monitoring and have afterburner running but wasn't looking at gpu usage on it.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

You mean the indexing, superfetch, etc

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand sorry

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

It's a setting for your HDD, indexing indexes all the files on your HDD so you can search for them quickly. If you turn it off search may not work correctly. Alot of people turned it off when Vista came along cause it was constantly humping the HDD causing lag and the drive to wear out faster.

Superfetch is a cache of sorts for your apps to help them start up faster, unfortunately it has also been known to cause issues.

Are you on Win 10?

On Win 10 open the Run prompt by pressing Windows key + R, then type services.msc and click OK, find the Superfetch and stop it. If your system runs better you may decide to disable it altogether, otherwise it'll start up again when you next boot.

Indexing can be turned off in a similar fashion, but it may be a better idea to do as I did and go to the indexing options and set which area's you want indexed and not everything else.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Like I said I'm not using a HDD for anything at the moment. I've been tinkering with some stuff and while playing bf4 the gpu usage stay at 97-100 at all times with no drops and the CPUusage is normal. But while playing gta5 with all settings at max @1440p and 144hz the gpu usage starts at 100% then randomly will drop to 10 or below for a split second cause a stutter then the usage goes back to 100, it does this randomly and somewhat often, I've tried turning off that music feature and even changed my virtual memory from the default to a higher value (which I don't think matters since I have 32gb of ram, just tried it because someone had mentioned it on another forum with people having the same issue) I've also reinstalled my graphics driver. Bios is up to date along with all over drivers. I've set my power options to performance mode in windows and also in nvidia control panel. So I'm kinda stumped, I know it's not hardware related since my other games don't have the problem Only thing I haven't done yet is reinstall the game.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

those features don't just run on a HDD, they are most likely running on every drive in your system.

Per chance have you opened up task manager and on the performance tab to see if anything is causing an issue by hogging resources

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

maybe those too. those are windows settings though. I'm talking about the in-game option of having the in-game radio use your personal music library.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

I have a crappy mic and headphones, so I tend to type in games and have all the voice options disabled usually. One I heard of in some games that should be disabled is the text to speech, depending on whether your game has it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube