add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Drive configuration help

hvmanpvnda

10 days ago

Hey, I need help about my drive configuration. I'm buidling new pc for creativity and gaming, my question is: Is there any problem with: 1x Samsung 970 evo plus nvme m.2 500gb 1x Samsung 860 evo ssd sata3 500gb 1x HDD WD Blue 1tb Or should i replace samsung 860 evo ssd with another m.2 250gb but another brand. Will 2 different m.2 brands work? I'm planning to install my Windows 10 64bit in ssd or m.2 250gb Work in progress, rendering in 970 evo plus 500gb / games Completed projects and files in hdd 1tb Can someone help me or explain the best way to put this thing or some other suggestion. Thank you so much

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

theoretically, there should be no problem. what mobo do you have?

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

You need a MB that takes two m.2. Note that in some cases the second one may run at reduced speed (x2 pcie 3.0 which is still faster than sata3) or at sata speeds, so you need to know how they work and make sure the m.2 is compatible. You can put any brand that fits spec in them. They are almost the same price as a sata drive now but can be faster. But there is no point to putting a fast/expensive Nvme m.2 in a restricted slot, still a cheaper Nvme m.2 should be faster than sata3.

When dealing with large files or booting or loading is when fast m.2 will shine the most. Hdd is ok for storage, but you are not going to want to use it for things you work on or use a lot. I guess if you do a lot of editing you may want a small m.2 scratch drive to work on for organization or budget reasons. Personally I bought the largest faster m.2 for the OS I could budget just so it would stay in there longer and be fast everyday.

If I did mine again (I have a 480 fast m.2 boot and a 3tb hdd) I would get a cheaper (~$100) 1gb second m.2 for games and whatever and when that got full I would buy the hdd for storage. If I had budget well I'd have two m.2 1tb at minimum. Right now I have a lot of room on the 480gb so no reason to add to it. In the end I would not even look at a hdd unless you have old stuff you want to keep, or you need 2tb or more storage and budget requires. Even sata ssd price goes up for large drives.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube