add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Been told I might need to upgrade my PSU, suggestions?

FanaticalMunky

10 days ago

Just got myself a 1440p monitor and have been told I might need to upgrade my PSU.

My specs: GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.80GHz, Motherboard: B360 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B22), Ram: 16GB DDR4, Power Supply: PURE POWER 10 600W CM, Storage: WD10EZEX Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Kingston SA400S37 240 GB

Comments

• 10 days ago
  • 3 points

Just got myself a 1440p monitor and have been told I might need to upgrade my PSU.

No you don't need to. This PURE POWER 10 600W CM is more than enough.

And the Monitor has nothing to do with a PSU that powers on a computer.

The Monitor has it's own power supply. :D

• 9 days ago
  • 3 points

I agree with @mark5916 ... no need to upgrade your PSU.

• 8 days ago
  • 3 points

and have been told I might need to upgrade my PSU.

By someone whose imagination runs wild. So maybe for them, "A 1440p monitor takes more "power" to run, ergo the GPU is using more "power" to display 1440p. Therefore you need more "power", from a bigger GPU. So upgrade your PSU."

It all makes sense if you don't know what you're talking about but think your assumptions reflect reality as long as they sound good to you.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

I had a roommate who said this **** but he was talking about literal power from the wall. Like what do you think the power cable attached to your monitor is for? We like to think that PC is something everyone can get into but some people just aren't cut for it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube