add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replace motherboard OR go with Haswell + Motherboard

DoHbOyBlAzEd
  • 74 months ago

So here is the situation, my motherboard's onboard audio decided to die. Sent it in for warranty and ASUS has deemed that it was "Customer Induced Damage". I am still waiting to hear from them as to exactly what the issue is. I have deemed these to be the most viable options, yet am unsure what to do.

Option 1: Get the motherboard back from RMA (as is) and just purchase an aftermarket soundcard. While this is the cheapest option, I feel as though the motherboard is probably just going to die sooner than later anyways. Assuming the problem has to do with capacitors.

Option 2: Replace motherboard with equivalent or higher end motherboard. X79 motherboard sit around the $300 (CDN) mark. I would not replace with the same board so, I would be looking at around $340 for the next step up.

Option 3: Get an i7 4770K + Motherboard. Something like this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/12aFX I would consider an i5, but after having an i7 for so long, I would rather not go backwards.

CPU + Mobo = $499 + tax = $565

OR

Replace motherboard = $340(ish) + tax = $385

If I sell my i7 3820 for around $200, that would leave the upgrade costing me less than the new CPU and motherboard.

Very torn right now, what do you guys think?

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I would not upgrade platforms at all. The performance differences between them isn't huge. Do you do a lot of cpu intensive tasks where every second (literally) counts? If so then I'd say yes you should consider the upgrade. The reality is, though, that you're going to see VERY VERY little real world improvement as a result.

As for your concerns with PCI lanes. I have 2 780TI classifieds, arguably the king of the playground cards in the single GPU per pcb arena. I had them originally on a sabertooth z77 with a 3570k and now on a g1 sniper 5 (which has plx effectively giving me 32 pci lanes) witha 4770k. Performance difference between them? Borderline nil. Any performance improvements I've had have moreso been a reuslt of the processor change (and even then minimal). I also have a friend who's on here, Berzerker, who has a similar setup to me except he's on a UD4H with a 4770k, effectively no plx. We get more or less the same results too.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not really interested in this from an upgrade standpoint. The only reason I am considering Option 3 is because the cost of a solid X79 motherboard is $300 +. At say $340 (plus my local 13% sales tax), it comes to around $385. 4770K + mobo = $565 after tax. If I sell my 3820 for $200ish, it cost less to go new than to replace just the motherboard.

The performance difference between 4770k and 3820 is a few percent on average, so definitely not an upgrade path lol.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can find a buyer for the 3820 then go for it. I'd suggest you first actually put the CPU on sale and see if you can find someone to buy it. If you can, then I think that's a great idea, I hadn't done all the math myself before posting, should have done so first lol.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be an eBay thing I'm sure. Seeing as how the motherboard does still work, just no audio, I could bundle it together for a few bucks more. Motherboard just would be sold AS-IS. Worst case scenario.....I have to build another rig.

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of what I am leaning towards as well. The only problem I have is the 2 x PCI-E will be in 8x mode vs the 16x with my X79 board. I know the performance difference is negligible, but when you spend the cash on 2 x GTX 780 you want everything you can get out of them.

ASUS and Gigabyte are my two go to companies.

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I know, the performance difference really is nill between 16x and 8x (on PCI-E 3.0). Its just peace of mind lol. The 4770K will be an upgrade in a sense, but not huge my any means. More importantly, I want something new to overclock. My 3820 had lackluster results at best. I'm kind of stuck with this Gigabyte board as I want the black/blue colors.

What kind of temps am I looking at with the 4770K @ say 4.5Ghz (haven't looked up any reviews yet). Running a TT Water 2.0 Extreme Push/Pull

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Jesus Christ, that hot? Even my 3820 only hit 60c under prime95 load at 4.3ghz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube