add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Career Pursuits

2D_Mike
  • 4 months ago

Hi All, I am looking to start training to move into a new career and I need some feedback.

Quick back story. I went to the University of Cincinnati and graduated with a Bachelors of Business Administration (I didn't know what I wanted out of high school and college never really helped that). When I graduated, I was working as a retail store manager and making about $45k so I pretty much sat on my butt when it came to setting a career path (no excuses, just lacked direction). Several retail jobs later, I was introduced to a guy who had a mutual friend and this guy worked for a IT contracting company. That's when the idea of IT really started to stick in my mind. I had always been somewhat tech savvy and grew up around computers. Long story short, his company trained me in JCL, TWS, and various other mainframe applications and got me a job at a very large bank.

Now, while I appreciate this job as an intro into the tech world, it is not what I want to be doing even a year from now. I have quickly proven my worth here and become one of the strongest team members. Now I am looking to earn additional certifications in order to pursue something different and more desirable for me personally.

My initial gut tells me to pursue web development. This seems like the type and pace of work that I would strive for and do very well in. Does anyone have any entry level careers that they would suggest checking out or any certifications that would be beneficial? I'm really just looking for jumping off points in order to define a career path that will fit me best.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube