add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Dacorncob
  • 74 months ago

Right now i have a pc with windows 8 and im going to build a new pc soon. Could i clone the hard disk to my new build so i dont spend £80? And i dont have the windows cd

And if i could clone it, could you link a video or something?

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't that illegal?

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Here, have some upvotes back. To answer the questions here:

No, it's not illegal if your Windows installation isn't OEM and tied to the first machine; for example, if you got Windows preinstalled on a Dell or HP machine, and the licensing they did it under required them to not allow you to move the license.

Yes, you can clone your windows installation. You have to sysprep it first so that it can rebuild itself around your new hardware, though, so an easier solution might be as follows, though I've only tried this on 7 (only works if you have a Windows Installation Disk):

1. Take the hard drive with your windows install out of your old computer and put it in the new one, or else clone the whole drive and restore it to a new drive (ideally of equal or greater size, otherwise there's other steps that need to be taken).

2. Boot the new computer using your Windows Installation Disk. When it asks you what you want to do, choose "New Installation" and select the drive your old Windows install is on.

3. Windows 7/8 will detect the old installation and ask if you want to overwrite it or preserve it. You want to preserve it.

4. When the installation is done, your computer should boot from your new drive into Windows. You will need to activate using your old key (you will have to call Microsoft's activation line on your phone if this was an OEM installation that you could legally move from one motherboard to another). You won't see any of your old stuff and your old programs won't run, but it's all saved inside a folder on your C:\ drive labeled "Old Windows." You can retrieve your data and repair some of your software installs from there.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the windows so i dont think so

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude, I was just asking. No need to downvote

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I didnt downvote?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Hahahhahha my previous reply was also downvoted. ROFL

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

You could just place the HD into the new computer. If you need to clone you can use R-Drive. I did this when I got a new SSD that was bigger than my older one.

You could also use Windows 8 to create a system image:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-8/

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I cant take the old disk out because then it will not work

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Why won't the old disk work in the new PC? You should just be able to connect to the new PC.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

well, i need the old disk in the computer for work

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you can, with the help of backup tool(eg. Aomei Backupper), you can clone the partition or the whole disk. Backup system then restore is also OK.You'd better have a USB. here is the link:http://www.backup-utility.com/features/ I hope this will help you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube