add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No HDMI signal

icomplexity
  • 4 months ago

Hi all,

I’m having problems trying to get display on my monitor. My PC turns on, everything is plugged in but my monitor is not picking up any signals.. I tried unplugging my monitor then back in, it would turn on then I’d get a message saying “No HDMI signal detected.”

I tried resetting the ram, unplugging all cables, etc. I hope it’s nothing faulty with my PC..

Can anyone think of a fix?

Edit: here is my build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/icomplexity/builds/

I noticed that there is no beep from when I boot the PC like I noticed before.

All components seem to be running, fans are on, light from dedicated GPU is on, motherboard light is on, CPU fan is on.

Monitor is connected via HDMI directly into the GPU, like it always has.

Running windows 10.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It helps if you state your hardware and software your using...

Does your PC have a dedicated GPU or is it running off the motherboard, from where are you plugging your HDMI cable to your monitor?

Does your PC have the drivers needed to run HDMI, I know this sounds odd but I've had the odd system that would run natively with VGA or DVI, but not work with HDMI until I installed drivers.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah because if your CPU doesnt have integrated graphics and your using the on board video than that's the problem

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Here’s my build below. Hope it shows up. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/icomplexity/builds/

My PC has a dedicated GPU where my monitor is connected directly through an HDMI cable. It always has been plugged in this way and has always worked before; it does have the needed drivers, it’s not a newly built PC.

What’s transpired recently is I did a clean up. I wanted to be meticulous so I took off the CPU, the 2 ram sticks, GPU. Dusted off everything with compressed air for a full clean up. Reseated everything back.

I boot my PC - the GPU is on (green light on the video card is lit) fans on it are running, CPU heat sink fan is running, motherboard light is on, everything seems to be running...but no display. I must say, I noticed that there is no more BEEP sound as I remember before when I boot it on. Not sure if this is important.

Today, I took off the battery from the motherboard as a suggestion from a YouTube video i saw. I reseated everything again - the RAM sticks, CPU, GPU then I put the battery back in as to reset the motherboard, I believe. Still to no avail. I reconnected all wires from the power supply as well to see if that might do it..nope.

I will take some pictures of the PC’s guts and hopefully that might help disect the problem...

Oh and I’m running windows 10.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so..I have a different PC that I plugged the monitor via HDMI as well.

It’s this one :https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-Z97.html

And what do you know...same thing! No display from monitor. I’m pretty sure this PC has got no problems.

From what I gather...it seems that the problem could likely be the HDMI cable. I don’t think it’d be the monitor, if I’m not mistaken as it does turn on.. I’ve already set the monitors mode onto HDMI. This PC does have a DVI outlet as well.. But I reckon it since it’s got an HDMI output, it should allow the possibility for it to be used, correct?

I am going to get a new HDMI cable and hopefully that should fix it..

In your guys’ experience is it common for HDMI cables to burn out?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Cables can degrade with age, as long as they are stationary and left alone they can work for decades, but as soon as you move a worn out cable they can have issues... not just HDMI.

Have you tried connecting with a DVI cable, just to see if it's working.

When you say you don't get a beep from the system seems wrong as when you boot if your system is healthy you should get 1 short healthy beep... I've had systems that don't and its usually RAM. A good test to see if your system is working right is to take the RAM out altogether and boot your system, if the system is working right you will hear several short beeps (RAM error post code, cause there's no RAM) if you don't hear that post code I suspect something else is wrong. If you do hear it, then clean your RAM contacts with a soft white pencil eraser so the contacts are clean and shiny and not dull. You may need to do your GPU too in similar fashion...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The cable has been left alone, barely gets taken out. But I must say it has been about more than 5 years since..

Funny enough, I just watched another YouTube video with the exact same thing you mentioned to do... https://youtu.be/rgh1k3J8yQc

I had a look at the golden parts of my RAM sticks and GPU and I thought they looked pretty clean as I was reseating them earlier. Then again, it has also has been years. I will try this tomorrow and update. Hopefully it does the trick.

I do not have a DVI cable handy to test out, unfortunately.

What about my CPU? I noticed that the thermal paste on it is pretty dried up. Not sure if this is relevant at all, I would think it should still allow for the PC to run regardless. I inspected it closely and the pins on the CPU are perfectly fine. And I do live in Canada . .

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I change the paste on my CPU every 2 - 3 years, I know I should do it more often but usually I just watch my temps and act accordingly.

People have all kinds of ways to do the paste, a dot, a line, a cross. The way I was taught and do is to smear a fine film across the entire surface of the CPU, fine enough that the print on the CPU surface can still be read. As I have Tourette's which causes me to have very unsteady hands that's easier said than done and have resorted to using the springiness of a loop of paper to smear the paste.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely will need to reapply thermal paste. That's unfortunate you have Tourette's, glad your resourceful enough to work around it.

I wonder if switching to a HDMI to DVI cable would work. I'm thinking maybe the HDMI output of my GPU might be worn out because I noticed it is somewhat loose. Not loose enough that it moves when I'm fiddling with it while it's connected..but I guess it's not as snug. The DVI output has never been used so maybe it would be better.

I'm thinking this would be besides the main issue though being that there is no healthy beep when booting. I'm really hoping cleaning up the RAM sticks and GPU works.

If I do get the RAM error post code, then I clean the RAM sticks and GPU but still do not get a beep. Could that mean my RAM is toast..? What other possibilities would make me not get a healthy beep?

And also, my motherboard has 4 slots for RAM. As of right now, it's seated at slots 2 and 4. Does this matter? I actually tried 1 and 3 before as well.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried one stick at a time in each of the slots, you can have bad slots.

I live in a coastal area myself and find corrosion can be an issue not only on the gold contacts of RAM and peripheral cards, but also to the motherboard itself.

I have a SNES that wasn't working and all I did was take it apart and give it a good clean with circuit board cleaning spray, let it evaporate/dry and put it back together and now my console works again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube