add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

From I7 4770 to 9700K for streaming+gaming?

Sooxzay
  • 4 months ago

Hey, so my weakest parts of my gaming pc right now is the intel core i7 4770 with my 16gb ddr3 ram. Im planning to replace my mainboard, ram and cpu with new components and would like to know which CPU makes more sense to do so.

My current rig: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Evoke OC 2x8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1666 MHz Ram Intel Core i7 4770 beQuiet 630W Asus Maximus VI Hero 1TB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB HDD

Components I think about: Intel Core i7 9700K 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS Intel Z390 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR ATX Retail

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

I would also suggest to change that psu since its 8+ years old with a good modern 550W-650W psu.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Regarding the PSU: I have an issue since I got the RX 5700 XT evoke OC. I installed windows fresh on a clean system with this new card and since then randomly my monitor goes black and says "no signal". All I can do is turn off/on the power button on my pc to restart to get the monitor working again. Does it come from the old PSU? I changed the graphics driver already several times and the issue still exists..

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think the psu is the problem (would still change it in the future tho).

Just some things to check first.

• Make sure you connected the monitor cable into the gpu not mobo
  • Make sure all the power cables are seated well into the gpu
  • Make sure the gpu is seated well into the mobo.
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked all 3 tips on your list already tbh. But the problem still exists. Im not 100% sure if my card sits perfectly in the MB slot however since its hard to see.. Once I got the new parts I will try to be sure its 100% in

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you set on Intel? The Ryzen 7 3700X would be a good option as well, expecially for streaming due to the extra threads.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $363.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler $38.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $135.90 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $139.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $678.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 08:18 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $327.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $139.99 @ Amazon
Total $637.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 08:19 EDT-0400
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I second Ryzen as well. With third gen, single-core performance differences are negligible at best, especially after Overclocking.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Errrr the overclocking headroom on third generation actually loses single core performance over stock boost clocks since your held back by the lowest performance core on the CCX.

Factor in that Windows will avoid loading the marked "worst" cores and place as many loads as possible onto the "best" cores and overclocking becomes pointless very fast.

It might show ever so slight gains in a sterile benchmarking system but unless your running a sterile system it hurts more then helps now.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmmm, moving from 8 thread CPU to an 8 thread CPU, albeit one with twice the physical cores and faster single/multi threading. I would guess you perhaps will gain 30-40% moving to the 9700K all said and done. Worth it? Probably. I would look at an 8 core / 16 thread CPU as being the bigger bump up - i.e. 9900K territory or Ryzen 3700X/3800X territory. Heck for gaming streaming the older Ryzen 2700X will be a meaningful bump for not a whole lot of money.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

More like a 100% increase on 8 cores. Their a big difference in 4 cores with hyperthreading and 8 true cores.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770/4030vs1978

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually... the difference is from IPC, node improvements and other addition.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Hyperthreading only adds about 20% so the 8 true cores with the other changes give it a LOT more than you said.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What I said was

The difference is from IPC, node improvements and other additional stuff

Still, 8c > 8t

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops thought the 7700K and 4770 were roughly similar in speed so went with the 7700K. The gap between 4770 and i7-7700K is much larger than I thought. The i7-7700K to 9700K is around 30-40% increase. The 4770 on the other hand, as you said.... in retrospect I overestimated the 4770.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a 3700X instead.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If streaming via CPU resources, avoid the single-threaded 9700K. Games are already utilising 6/8 cores and with streaming in the mix you'll end up seeing diminishing returns in game performance (lesser FPS).

What you'll want is a 8 core CPU with multi-threaded support which throws in around 35% more compute power.

3 OPTIONS:

• AMD Ryzen 3700X - excellent value

• Intel 9900K - a narrow performance margin at stock + worthier overclocking potential if that's something you're looking to secure.

(Note: If gaming on higher resolution displays with the likes of 1080p Ultra-wide, 1440p, etc....the performance discrepancy between the 3700X/9900K is pretty much eliminated and both will deliver FPS at an equal footing)

• Ryzen 3900X - A killer upgrade path for core hungry simultaneous workloads (gaming, streaming, rendering, etc). A 12 core 24 threaded monster which secures "future-proofing" on all levels. Plenty of performance to push on higher quality encoding/streams whilst maintaining 1080p 60fps output (if the budget permits).

All 3 options simply get the job done. If you're planning for a long-term solution (5 yrs+) i'd be more leaning towards a 3900X. If you're sticking with a 1080p higher refresh rate gaming and fancy something with some meaningful overclocking potential, the 9900K ticks the box. If you're simply looking for "best value" with "very little" performance compromise the Ryzen 3700X has you covered nicely (also sees a nice upgrade path if it ever comes to that.....3900X/3950X/etc)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I do stay with 1080P 144FPS and since I want a long-term solution I was thinking about the Ryzen 9 too. Since I sell my PS4 Pro I can manage to go for the ryzen 9 I guess

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 9 won't disappoint :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

9700K is extremely capable as a gaming CPU or streaming with hardware onboard the GPU/external streaming system.

For streaming with CPU resources its alright but overpriced for its performance.

The current Ryzen are also in the same boat being sabotaged in multi tasking by Windows scheduling everything it can into a select few of the cores marked as best cores by AMD.

Best deal right now is the 2700X for $200+free title many places, you get equivalent performance when streaming to a 3800X for 2/3 the price of a 3700X and a wider market for out of box ready motherboards.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $199.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply BitFenix Whisper M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $79.98 @ Amazon
Total $509.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 14:45 EDT-0400

You're also going to want to replace that old power supply.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the recommendation guys!

So right now I changed my mind partly on the CPU since everyone I asked recommended a ryzen cpu over intel.

For now these are the parts I would like to go for:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12x 3.80GHz So.AM4 BOX Mainboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX black DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit

Regarding the PSU: I have an issue since I got the RX 5700 XT evoke OC. I installed windows fresh on a clean system with this new card and since then randomly my monitor goes black and says "no signal". All I can do is turn off/on the power button on my pc to restart to get the monitor working again. Does it come from the old PSU? I changed the graphics driver already several times and the issue still exists..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube