add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build won't power up...

rdino01
  • 4 months ago

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $221.85 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12LS_BK 53.3 CFM CPU Cooler $40.76 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $149.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.98 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $76.86 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA B3 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply -
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $20.20 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $119.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $823.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 16:39 EDT-0400

This is probably the 4th build I've put together with the exact specs. Today, I went to power this one up after finishing the remainder of the wiring, and no luck getting started. I seem to have power as the power switch light is lighting up. but it won't even rev the fans.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem. I unplugged all the PSU cables and plugged them back in. I placed the RAM into slots 2 and 4.

I am using the case's fan switch for the first time in this build. It doesn't connect to the motherboard, just connects to the fans and to the PSU. The fans do not power up. I connected one fan to the mobo just to see if that would change anything and it doesn't seem to be changing a thing.

There are no debug lights on the motherboard.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

Did you bench test the components outside of the case before installing? You may have a direct short with the case at a stand-off.

Disconnect all front panel leads and try powering up the system by shorting across the motherboard power pins.

Try using a different CMOS battery, your's may be dead.

Are you receiving any beep codes? Is you motherboard equipped with a beep code speaker?

Make sure you're using the connect 8 pin CPU plug from the PSU.

Try using only one stick of memory, test in each slot. Test both sticks separately.

Check CPU is properly seated and CPU fan is plugged into the correct CPU port on the motherboard.

Swap out PSU.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not test components outside the box before installing. I just pulled the CMOS battery to see if that is the issue. I've already tested the PSU and the PSU is working. I'm using the right CPU plug. I've moved the RAM around already. I seem to have power. The Power switch LED is on. Just nothing when i press the button. Not even a quick rev of the fans. I may have a dead MOBO.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube