add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Explosion sound from PC

Matthewgrossman
  • 4 months ago

I had my pc under load (asrock b540, ryzen 5 1600, ASRock rx 580, corsair cx650m) and heard a pop which shut off my pc. it instantly booted back up and everything was recognized and working properly as well as temps and voltages where fine. The cup is oc'd but the voltage is lower than stock. What could it have been?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Clarification: Sounds like the PSU is coming to an end. It's a matter of time despite it's still working. I suggest a new PSU ASAP if so... because the pop can likely repeat itself and eventually won't turn ON again. And if it's not the PSU then maybe it's the motherboard. One of those components may have a failing capacitor. May need to smell check one of those two components to confirm who may had pop. (safely) Idk maybe check the GPU too but it's hard to say until you can pin point which component is about ready to end.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

i meant to mention that the first thing i did was smell and i did not smell the magic smoke

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if no smell nor smoke, could have been one of the two components. Unless the EPS and PCIe connectors were not in the correct connections... or something was loose/overvolted.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If I had to guess I'd agree with the PSU doing it. There is high voltage in there, I been zapped by one before. If something popped it could well be that. Sure check all plugs/connections first I'd do that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube