add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC crashing randomly

joonasyr
  • 4 months ago

Ok, I'm evidently not going to solve this on my own so might as well ask for help now rather than later.

For some time now, my PC has randomly started to shut down. I don't get any BSOD and my monitors just go white/black. No audio comes out and if I look at just the PC you couldn't tell it has crashed since all the fans etc are still working.

I first thought this was a PSU related problem. Bought a new PSU that was 100W more than the last one (just to be sure). Didn't help. Next I figured it could be temperature related, but my temps seem fine. CPU is at 45 C idle and GPU temps look good, too.

I scavenged some forums online and someone had a similar problem with faulty RAM, and I just bought some new sticks to see if that helps. Will also do a clean install of Windows tomorrow when I get home to see if that helps. If not, it's either the CPU, MTB or GPU(?). How do I start troubleshooting?

All and any help is appreciated.

All my components are less than 6 months old. Here are the specs:

MTB: Asus B350 Plus Prime GPU: Vega 56 CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 PSU: Corsair rm750x 80 plus gold RAM: Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 2400 MHz 16GB Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 1TB HDD

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would probably start with the video card and drivers and the cable it uses. I've had similar issues with hdmi cable or gpu drivers/software doing it. Overclocking gpu can also raise issues, or voltage settings. With this the monitor goes black and nothing else happens, have to force shutdown. Make sure the gpu is fully seated, power cables are good, etc. It is like the video lost communication with the PC.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. Will have a look.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My new PC was doing that but would come back on in a couple seconds. I just put all new (they were updated) motherboard drivers, amd drivers, gpu software in and it has not done it again.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

As I said, all parts are under 6months old. The PSU is brand new, however.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Event log gives me kernel power 41 error from force shutting down (I assume). Will check memory tomorrow.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube