add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to connect the USB-C case front panel connector to an Asus WS X570-ACE m/b

ms261cm

4 months ago

I'm building a PC with an Asus WS X570-ACE motherboard and a Fractal Design Meshify S2 case. The problem is that I can't connect the case's front panel USB-C connector since the connector for the USB-C port looks like this while the motherboard has completely different sockets (marked "USB 3.2 Gen 1"), which expects a plug that looks like this.

I have found adapters that seem to fit physically, but the manufacturer states that it converts from USB 3.0 on the motherboard to 3.1 in the USB-C plug. On my motherboard, the socket is marked USB 3.2 while the case plug is marked 3.1, so I'm not sure if this will cause problems. If anyone else has had the same problem, and were able to solve it, please let me know.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The socket is marked USB 3.2 while the case plug is marked 3.1, so I'm not sure if this will cause problems.

The board is market as USB 3.2 Gen 1 that equals to USB 3.0 speed.

The Case plug is USB 3.1 Gen 2 that equals to USB 3.1 speed.

So if you connect any device on your Case that its USB 3.1 Gen 2 compatible it will run at a reduced speed on your boards USB 3.2 Gen 1 port.

That's all. But it will work!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I was not aware of the ridiculous renaming of standards that has taken place. I found a table that summarized the insanity; after seeing that, I will no longer refer to these USB standards by version numbers, just by their theoretical max speeds.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. Good luck with your build! :)

Thanks, I was not aware of the ridiculous renaming of standards that has taken place.

Yes the naming is a bit of confusing. lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube