add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best and safest way move an OS (win 10 64bit) to a different drive on the same computer?

RichardW1207
  • 7 months ago

I recently built a computer, and to save money I put the OS on a 2.5" SSD (kingston a400 480gb). It works fine but I would like to have my OS on a very fast and reliable m.2, such as the 970 evo plus 500gb. What is the best way to move my OS from the 2.5" to the m.2? Is there any software, preferably free to download, that can do it?

I would appreciate anyone's help.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Only chiming in here because I recently had to clone several drives myself to newer, better SSD's. A lot of the "free" cloning software felt extremely annoying to set up. Requiring your email to start their free trial as well as even having to sign up in some cases. I somehow ended up using Macrium Reflect to do the job. It's free for Home use, and can be downloaded AND used without entering any personal information. I believe what you want to do here is clone the drive to another one. Which is essentially making an exact copy of every single file and putting it on another drive. It worked really well for me and had no issues. Though keep in mind before you do it, it could take several hours depending on the size of the SSD and the amount of files on it. But when you're done you will have an exact copy, and even Windows and stuff will still be activated. Hope this helps. P.S. The program will automatically detect SSDs and use the proper settings.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

There are plenty of free and paid cloning software.
Examples mentioned at TechRadar

I generally use Acronis True Image

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I used clonezilla on a usb, you can clone in the PC one to the other. Make sure the new drive is larger, or get a utility to show your drive tree after defrag and make sure nothing is on end of drive then use the no size check switch when you clone it. It should not take long with ssd's. One it didn't work and I had to use an older version of clonezilla, but its easy to make the usb from an iso, just dload a different version and make it. There is a lot of info at clonezilla site. I've used one that came with a new hdd and it worked fine too, was similar. I'd recommend you use windows tools before, nothing during, and only boot and windows utilites after. Example: changing the partition or something with the clone software really makes windows mad. Also know your original drive size/number and do not change anything on it until you have the new drive booting and all is working. The last one I also used windows cmd util to change the id of the old drive so I could also use that in same machine. Windows can get mad as it sees them as same drive due to it being a clone. Sometimes you have to change something in boot to get it going.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube