add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

why is my bios time 23 seconds on a high end system?

thegees
  • 4 months ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MBM46s

i thought it was normal for pcs to take a while to start up, but i looked on forums and some people had 3 seconds of loading time?

task managers says '22.8 seconds' as last bios time but timed by an external stopwatch from power button press it takes 28 seconds to get to logon screen

my startup softwares https://imgur.com/a/VWyx3Nx

thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I just built a system with win10/2400g and it is around 5 seconds I can log in, that is me counting to 5. Does not matter much if its shut down or sleep. I do have a gammix s11 Nvme OS drive that is close to an evo for speed. If I change something in the bios it takes twice as long. I would check your windows logs and see if its having a problem loading something.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Post a video of your PC from off to ready to use in 5 seconds!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My bad, you are right. I did a video and time on that says 17 seconds button press to when the login box is there, from a shut down. Must be my counting was really slow. : ( It would be hair faster if I didn't have to hit return to get the login after the screensaver comes on. One thing I can try is turn my OC cpu back on that seemed faster. Nope, OC at 4.0ghz was still about 17 seconds maybe 16. OC memory to 3600 and not really any different. I had that stuff on until couple days ago a game crashed and I turned it all off.

Ok I see, from sleep it does it in 6 seconds. I usually do sleep if I'm going to use it soon. Not sure if OC affects it. I thought I was not that bad at counting lol.

So full boot to login box is 16-17, and from sleep is 6, on video to time it, with a x470/2400G slight OC.

To compare I hit my old Athlon x2 6000/5400 green hdd/vista and it took 1:05 to vista login. Though it has verbose set in bios to show everything, but don't think it slows it down.

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

First whoever's saying 3 seconds is full of it.

Your board goes through a post check after you push the power button.

You push the button, PSU turns on the board checks that each part is working, windows loads.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

so.. what do i do..

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

take a sip of your drink of choice

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Look in both bios and windows to see if 'fast boot' options are set, bios are different not sure what you will find but mine has some option in there for that.

Though you are 5-6 seconds off mine, that is not massive. You may have more stuff loaded the only thing on mine is steam and a printer util. I only use browser and games on here so far. But there is windows junk on here ex: I see skype is running, and doubtful this will never have a camera or mic on it. This is an Asus bios, I really don't know if different bios have different boot speeds.

My bios says: Fast boot >>>>> Enabled. Make sure your OS drive is set to first boot choice, if its not. You can change it if you ever need to.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to compare I checked another old sff/core2quad/sata2 ssd/win7 and it did boot exactly 30 seconds, and it used to take over 1 min it was very slow with Pentium 2 core and hdd. That is why I say any ssd even on sata2 is way faster boot and loading. While my Nvme is multiples faster in bench score its not multiples better in seconds at 17 boot vs 30. Not a direct comparison but you get the idea.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing to do. Nothing wrong with a 23 second boot time!

Mine is about 20 seconds using a stop watch not counting. The time it takes for your system to go through it's post check will very from one PC to another.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube